Chapter Twenty-three - Part One

Jess sits in the great hall, the ten remaining suitors bustling around her.

Jack is seated in a seat close to her, his knee jiggling as his face creased in thought. Not too close, though. He doesn't want any more judgement against Jess... especially not if it's his fault.

"Ah, god, isn't this exciting?" Christion smiled, scratching his elbow.

The princess looks up at him and can't help smiling as well at the bouncy redhead. "Yes, I suppose it is,"

"So passive, so formal," Robert laments sarcastically. He leans against a large, marble column with his arms crossed. Noticing Jess's eyes on him, he winks.

Christion continues talking while bouncing on the balls of his feet. "It'll be great to see my family again, I haven't seen them in ages! My sister Catherine has been writing to me saying how lucky I am to get through to the Elite and how excited she and Colton are to come to the Palace, they're really hoping it's as cool as it is on the television but I was like, 'don't worry, it's really, really cool', and they were like-"

Starting to tune out a little, Jess glances over to Jack who's looking at Christion in an expression that can only mean 'shoot me'.

"-and my parents, too. Who have you got coming, Jack?" Christion finally finishes, looking expectantly at the pale boy.

A few other suitors within close proximity subtly look up, curious about the closed-off boy.

Jack slowly looks up. He smiles, but it doesn't reach his eyes. "It's just me this visit," he says, his hands ruffling his already messy hair. He doesn't elaborate. His eyes meet Jess's, and she hears their earlier conversation in her head.

"Grandfather says he can't make it due to his rapidly declining health,"

Jess sat down next to the boy. "Jack... I'm so sorry,"

"There's nothing to be sorry about. It's fine," Jack shrugged, his fallen expression betraying his light tone.

"What about your dad... has he said anything?" Jess asked hesitantly.

His eyes went cold. "Even if I had asked him, he wouldn't come. What am I to him, anyway? He doesn't care. It's just another day at work for him."

An uneasy silence fell over the group before Elijah - bless him - continues the conversation.

"My parents are coming," he says softly. "So is my little brother,"

"How old is your brother?" Alejandro inquires from where he is seated cross-legged on the carpet.

"He's eighteen, two years younger than I am. My little, baby bro,"

Jess chuckles.

"My younger brother is also coming," a voice says from behind Jess.

She looks around to see Carter swallowing nervously. She sends him a supportive smile.

"He is eighteen, also,"

Elijah nods politely. "What's his name?"

Jess sees Carter blink behind the thick frames he's wearing as if he is surprised someone is interested in talking to him. "Benjamin. Benjamin Washington,"

"That has a nice ring to it," Elijah nods, mouthing the name again. "My brother's name is Caleb. Uh, Caleb Addams,"

Nodding somewhat awkwardly, Carter's eyes flit to Jess for more instructions on how to normally talk to people. "Ah... yes. Good name,"

Jess has to refrain from face-palming. Poor, sweet, innocent Carter.

"What about you, Robert?" Alejandro asks. "Have you any siblings?"