Chapter Twenty-three - Part Two

Jess follows Andrew's family and reaches them just as they reach the large doors. Knowing something is wrong but still wanting to keep her reputation, she decides to remain polite but somewhat passive aggressive. "Oh, Mr and Mrs Davis, leaving so soon? We're just getting started, is something not to your liking?"

Ms Davis smiles and shakes her head, holding Ada's hand. "Not at all, Your Highness. I explained this to Andrew and another Palace Official, but we simply cannot stay this time."

Nodding, Jess says, "Ah, right of course. Is Andrew alright? He seemed a little... upset,"

"Ah, did he?" Mr Davis frowns. "Perhaps it's that egg he was speaking about. Isn't feeling his best, I heard,"

"That's strange, I don't remember serving any egg-based dishes this morning," Jess looks dangerously at the old man.

He smiles. "I think you must be mistaken, Your Highness. What else could the issue be?"

"Yes... what?" 

Jess smiles poisonously. "Have a wonderful day,"

"I will,"

And she turns on her heel, pacing after Andrew.

"Andrew?" She calls, finding herself alone in the hallways after he disappears from view. "Are you here? It's just me,"

She hears footsteps around the corner and trails after them, coming across a room with an ajar door. A small study. She stops, listening in. "...hello?"

Hearing nothing, she slowly opens the door.

Andrew stands in the middle of the room, his back to the door.

"...Andrew?" Jess says quietly.

He turns around, his face strangely taut. Then, seeing Jess, he breaks down into sobs, collapsing on the floor.

Jess gasps and runs forwards, kneeling down next to him. "Andrew, Andrew what's wrong? Are you okay?" She touches his back.

Andrew presses his head against his hands, his entire body shaking.

Covering his hand with hers, Jess leans forwards.

 "What happened?" she says. "I can't help you without knowing what's wrong, Andrew,"

Andrew clasps Jess's hands and buries his face into her shoulder. "I can't," he cries. "I just can't anymore!"

Jess's eyes widen. "Can't what? Andrew, what can't you do?"

"Everything," he slides down and covers his head with his arms. "I just... everything - it's been a lie... EVERYTHING!"

Jess feels her alarm rise. "A lie? What-what do you mean, Andrew?"

Andrew's sobs slowly become smaller and quieter. He turns around so that he's lying on his back, his hands covering his face. Slowly, his breathing returns to normal. "My parents... they're... very bad people. who don't agree with how Maxon and America rule." He takes a shuddering breath.

Jess tries not to show anything on her face, listening intently to Andrew.

He rubs his face. "The child... Ada Raven, they called her. What a fucking joke. Ada; an adornment. Raven; a sign of trickery. This is just a game to them. And now, because of what I've done," his voice raises angrily. "Her and another innocent person's life is on the line-" he chokes. Slowly, Andrew crawls into a seated position, leaning against the bottom of an armchair.

Tucking her dress underneath her, Jess sits on the ground next to him. "What do you mean 'because of what you've done'? Who's life is on the line? Who is the child?"

Andrew closes his eyes, eyebrows furrowed, face twisted painfully. "Because I... I haven't been doing what they want me to. I haven't... I couldn't. Second answer... the girl's life. Her and... someone I used to know."

"Who?" Jess presses.

Andrew sighs painfully and Jess fears that she's pushed too far, until he continues. "Someone... who I thought was dead."

Jess's jaw drops.

"She and I... grew up together. We were there for each other, helped each other when... and we rebelled against th- my parents to feel like we had our own lives, like we weren't just some pawn in a game," he looks up at Jess but quickly looks back down again. "And... the child is..."

Realisation dawning, Jess feels her blood run cold. "She's not..." she whispers the last part. "Yours?"

"''We've noticed you haven't been fulfilling your orders,' they told me," Andrews holds his head in his hands. "'She has a gun to her head as we speak. If you don't turn around and do as we say, we will kill her and the child. Which is,'" He clenches his fists around his hair. "'Yours. Your choice, Andrew,'"

"Holy shit," Jess whispers, eyes wide as a saucer, jaw slack. She can't find any words to say.

Wordlessly, Andrew hands Jess the letter and she quickly reads it. Shaking her head, she looks up. "I don't... understand..."

"They told me-" Andrew leans his head backwards, clutching his knees. His voice wobbles. "They told me she was dead. For two years I believed their lie when they said that she went to the Palace and was shot and killed. She was my only hope... and then she was gone. I did what they told me to, never once questioned it ever again. I stopped making connections. I couldn't bring myself to. I didn't want... didn't want to be hurt again. But... they were lying," a tear leaks out of his eye again. "This whole time... they kept her. They forced her to-to give birth to the child and kept them in inhumane conditions... And now, every decision I make could lead to their death,"

Jess says nothing.

Andrew watches her warily, scared how she'll react.

"What can I do to help?" she finally says, very quietly.

Moisture fills his eyes. "Love..." he croaks. "I just need... to feel loved. To feel like somebody cares about me,"

"Of course I care about you," Jess says truthfully. She searches Andrew's face before shuffling closer, leaning her head on his shoulder.

"I'm sorry," he whispers, his voice breaking. "Please be angry at me,"

Jess chews on her lip. "Look... I'm disappointed that you lied to me. I'll admit that. This is all a lot to process, I'm not thinking straight."

"I should've told you," Andrew says.

"Yeah." Jess has to agree. "That would've made things easier. But, hey," she intertwines her fingers with his. "We can get through this, it's okay," Jess must admit; she is still a little bit angry, but that's not what matters at the moment. What matters is Andrew. "So. What's our plan?"