Chapter Five

Jess sits in front of her mirror, trying to untangle her impossible hair.

"Your Highness, have you seen this?" Cara asks from behind her.

Jess turns around, confused. "Seen what?"

Cara licks her lips nervously and hands Jess a newspaper.

"Oh no," Jess groans.

Plastered on the front cover of the newspaper is a massive picture of her and Andrew in the giant haystack. It was the exact moment that Andrew had taken her hand, and she had a surprised look on her face as well as her dress being around her knees.

In massive, bold writing on top of the picture is 'PRINCESS GETTING TOO FRIENDLY ON SECOND DAY?' In smaller writing, it reads 'Princess caught having an 'intimate' moment with suitor, Andrew Davis, late at night. Is the future Queen not as innocent as she appears?'

"My parents are gonna kill me," Jess moans, covering her face with her hands.

Cara takes back the paper that Jess discarded on to the floor. "Extra strong coffee, Your Highness?"

"Thank you, Cara."

Jess decides to stay in her room for breakfast, not being able to face her parents, and definitely not being able to face the other suitors. What would they think of her? And, oh God, Andrew! Has Andrew seen the paper? How would he react?

"Thanks again, Cara." Jess says as she is handed a steaming cup of coffee. "Could you please grab me my writing things?"

"Of course, Your Highness."

Jess knows that she can't leave this rumour untouched. She has to say something about it to the people she cares about.

Cara lays multiple envelopes and paper on Jess's desk, as well as a black pen.

"Please have this delivered immediately," You say to Cara, handing her a sealed envelope.

Cara bows out of the room, and at the same time, Tamika walks in with a tray of food, as well as multiple envelopes.

Jess knows that at least one of them is from her mother.

Taking a bite of her warm, buttered toast, Jess opens the first envelope. She was right; it's from her mother.

Jess scans the letter, and it only says things like 'I know you wouldn't actually do that' et cetera. Long story short, America is on Jess's side.

Jess opens the second letter, but nearly immediately puts it back down. Ugh. Taxes.

The third letter has unfamiliar writing on the front. Curious, Jess rips it open, and two pieces of paper fall out, one being a copy of the paper. The second is a short note with the same writing as the front of the envelope.

Your Highness,

It seems you have been caught in a vulnerable position. I have some information you might value; I have certain evidence that points to who the photographer might be, but I can tell you that it is no qualified individual. I might be so bold to tell you that is, in fact, someone who is competing for your heart, if my information is correct.

Please come find me if you are interested in assisting me to find out who this man is.

Sincerely,

J.L

Jess raises an eyebrow. J.L? Whoever could that be referring to??

The only thing Jess wants to do is search the Selected's documents to find out who J.L could be, but she has a date to get ready for. She's decided to make this date horseback riding, because it is a chance for both parties to show of skill, and something to laugh about if they mess up. Plus, Jess misses her horse.