Chapter Nineteen

Particularly groggy, Jess makes her way down to breakfast.

She doesn't say anything as she aggressively piles the bacon onto her toast and drowns herself in orange juice.

"I'm taking it that you had a bit of a late night, dear?" Maxon asks, not even bothering to hide his smirk.

Jess glares daggers at him... because he's right. She couldn't sleep for hours last night, mainly getting really sad about Carter. She probably leaked out a few tears at one point, it was a very late night full of many emotions. "Whatever, Dad," she bites into her breakfast.

Half an hour later, she walks out of the hall with plans of who to go on a date with next. She's been on a date with everyone except for Aaron, Chase and Robert. What type of things do they like?

"Jess,"

At first Jess doesn't realise someone is talking to her. She isn't pulled out of her schemes until someone taps her on the shoulder. "Oh, hi!"

Jack shoves his hands back into his blazer pockets. He looks visibly uncomfortable, for whatever reason Jess does not know. "Hey,"

She turns around and smiles. "What's up?"

Jack doesn't meet Jess's eye. "You're not doing anything this evening, are you?"

"No... why?"

He scratches his head. "Is it possible for you to come over to my room? God, that sounds awful," he mutters under his breath.

Jess shrugs. "Sure. Do I get to know why?"

Jack has already started to turn around. "I'll see you then," he rushes away much too quickly for Jess not to be suspicious.

It's just about the photos, right? He's probably found some more information - no, he's probably setting a date for when we do the actual thing. Walking back up to the office she and her dad work in, Jess considers where the event should be held and all the other details that she didn't realise she needed to know. I honestly didn't think we'd get this far, she says to herself, opening the door.

She pulls out the envelopes she has to go through and sighs, sitting down at her desk. "Aaand here we go,"

For the rest of the day, Jess can't focus on anything but what Jack might have to say. It could be ANYTHING: from simply wanting a chat to some things Jess doesn't even want to think about. The possibilities are endless!

Finally, the end of dinner rolls around.

Jack Lee wasn't there.

With butterflies that felt more like oversized frogs, Jess walks up to his room and knocks on the door.

After ten agonisingly long seconds, it opens.

"Your Highness," the butler, Jozeph, greets formally. He opens the door fully and gestures for Jess to enter.

Jess walks into the room that - for once - has the lights on. She sees Jack sitting on a chair next to the back window, jiggling his knee and staring intensely at the ground. His eyes flit up to her, and he immediately jumps up. "Jess! Um, hi,"

Jess laughs awkwardly. "Hi... you seem nervous,"

Running his hands through his black hair, Jack smiles somewhat weakly. He still doesn't look at her. "Nervous? Why should I be nervous?"

Jess's eyes narrow. "You're definitely nervous. Spill, child,"

Jack Lee's green eyes meet hers. "Do you want to sit down?"