Chapter Seventeen

"And now we will view the most recent poll! Are you excited, Princess Jessica?" Gavril says, leaning in excitedly.

Jess plasters a smile on her face. "Most certainly! I can't wait,"

Two big images come up on the screen behind them, and Jess reads the names and stats, holding her breath.

"As we can see," Gavril said, raising a hand to gesture to the screen

"As we can see," Gavril said, raising a hand to gesture to the screen. "Elijah still has the highest number of votes, having 13.7% of the 416 people who voted. It must be his gentle and dreamy nature," he winks.

Although she can't see him from the blaring lights, Jess can just imagine Elijah sitting in the audience, blushing like mad.

"But! Ah! We have a tie!"

Jess quickly scans the bar graph. Oh my god.

The aging man turns to the camera dramatically, holding a hand in front of his mouth. "Mr Andrew and Mr Cole are both tying on fifty-five votes! My, what a scandal!"

Jess plays along with Gavril until the show is over, her cheeks aching from all those fake smiles.

She walks through the group of boys, saying the appropriate things to each.

"Congratulations again, Elijah! Hope Gavril didn't embarrass you too much. Aaron, sixteen votes, that's... sixteen more than last time! Yay!"

She bumps into Jack who looks very surprised to see her. "Jack, hi! What do you think about your results?"

Jack smiles drily. "It feels truly inspirational to know that one more person has fallen for my charming grace and charismatic personality,"

Jess laughs and continues on. She catches sight of Cole, and this time her smile is real as he waves energetically.

"Hi," she says almost breathlessly as they reached each other. "They really love you!"

Cole smiles and rubs his neck. If Jess didn't know any better, she would think that he's being shy. "Man, that felt great! I'm happy they like me, I guess!"

Not being able to help it, Jess beams. "I'm so happy for you!"

"Yeah!"

They stare happily at each other, before Jess notices Cole's eyes travelling down to her lips.
He blushes and looks away, and she does the same.

Jess looks around quickly, and then turns back to Cole. "Where are you heading off to, now?"

Cole tilts his head. "Depends where you're heading off to," he smiles innocently.

"I was off to that secret room you're so fond of,"

The suitor bites his lip, his eyes sparkling. "How pleasant! I think I might join you,"

Jess's lip twitches. "Yes, I think you might. Shall I meet you there?"

"Yes, you shall," Cole bows. He attempts to remain straight-faced but breaks character with a snort. "Wow, that was intense,"

Chuckling, Jess turns around. "After a couple of minutes, head over. You remember how to get there, right?"

Cole blinks and smiles. "Yes....?"

After Jess quickly explains the directions and the keycode, she sets off to the secret room, a small skip in her step. She waits, fiddling with her earrings in anticipation.

Within a few minutes, the doors slid open again and Jess practically jumped up.

Cole's figure emerges, and when he sees Jess his face breaks into a grin. "Fancy seeing you here,"

Jess lifts an eyebrow but smiles. "A huge coincidence, I know. So..."

"So," His grin doesn't waver as he closes the distance between them.

"You're killing me with the suspense, here, Cole Gray," Jess says, amused.

Cole doesn't stop walking, and soon Jess feels the wall against her back.

He gets closer still.

Just centimetres away from Jess's face, Cole puts a hand on the wall behind her. "Is this enough suspense for you?" He all but whispers.

Jess slings her arms around his shoulders. "I'm more interested in what will come after the suspense is over,"

Cole laughs and kisses Jess's cheek. He lightly kisses the tip of her nose, making her laugh. He places small kisses on both of her eyelids and then finally her forehead, closing his eyes briefly. He tilts his head down.

Jess feels his breath on her lips.

"Are you sure we can...?" he says quietly. Hesitantly.

Jess reaches and runs a finger along his jawline. "I'm sure,"

Cole's hands move from the wall to Jess's waist as he pulls her closer. His long eyelashes brush his cheeks as he looks down at her softly.

Jess looks up at him and feels like she's seeing him for the first time. A gentle tan, light brown hair that falls onto his face in a side parting, bright blue eyes full with a kindred sparkle.

And with a burst of emotion, their lips touch once again.

Jess reaches up, running her fingers through Cole's hair, eyes closed to savour the moment.

All that is here is them.

No photos, no princess, no competition.

Cole all-but falls onto the couch, not realising that his legs gave way. He looks momentarily surprised, but Jess climbs onto the couch with him.

He laughs and flicks his hair out of his face. "My bad,"

Jess closes the distance between them again. "I'll forgive you,"

Cole's hands tighten around her waist. "Thank god,"

--

Watching Cole from the corner of her eye as they left the room, Jess feels a sense of excitement for what is to come, as well as a strange feeling somewhere in her heart, a feeling that makes her light-headed and giddy, yet warm and content at the same time.

As she bids goodbye to Cole, she smiles to herself. Maybe this Selection has a point, after all.