Chapter Three - Part Two

"Sorry about that, gentlemen," Jess says. "That just goes to show that I am very picky with who I am going to share the rest of my life with. You're all dismissed to have some free time."

Everybody stands up, brushing off their suits.

Jess's gaze falls upon a muscular boy. "Except you, Elijah."

Elijah's head jerks up as if he was caught committing a crime. "Your Highness?" He says uncertainly, once everyone had left.

Jess holds up her hands. "Call me Jess. And, you're not in trouble, I swear."

Elijah releases his breath. "Thank God, I thought I did something wrong!"

"Not at all, not at all," Jess reassures the taller boy. "I did say I would show you the ballroom, though. Do you have a few minutes to spare?"

Smiling, Elijah nods. "I have all afternoon, actually!"

"Brilliant, let's go."

Jess opens the large, wooden doors, and Elijah gasps in awe.

"It's beautiful..." He whispers.

Jess hides a smile. "Please, come in, look around!"

Elijah walks slowly around the large room, admiring the elegant walls draped with paintings, and the mirrors that line the ceiling.

Soft music plays from an old-fashioned record player that sits next to the grand piano.

Jess can't help but giggle at Elijah's childish wonder, watching him stroll around, his head arched to the ceiling. Suddenly, he looks back down. "Hey, I know this song!" He says. "This is the classical song I want to learn how to play on the piano... we can't afford one though," Elijah turns red as if he didn't mean to share that information.

Jess creases her eyebrows. That's so sad, she says to herself. Everyone should be able to afford to pursue their dreams.

Elijah looks down, biting his lip.

Jess stands still for a moment, before approaching Elijah and touching him gently on the shoulder. "Sir Adams, may I have this dance?" She asks softly.

Elijah looks into Jess's eyes, before blushing and nodding. He places his hand lightly on top of Jess's waist and holds her hand with his other.

They both gently sway to the music, and Jess rests her head on Elijah's chest. She is pretty tall, it feels nice for her to have someone taller than her.

For the first time, Jess actually believes that the Selection might find her a husband.

After a while, a heavenly smell drifts through the room, and Jess glances to a clock. She gasps.

"What? Is everything okay?" Elijah asks, ceasing to sway to the music. He doesn't let go of Jess's waist.

"Dinner started ten minutes ago!" Jess waits for the panic to settle in, but she only finds the situation hilarious. She begins to giggle.

Elijah laughs as well. "Well, we'll have to run!"

"Elijah, I'm wearing a dress!" She says in a condescending tone. "And not to mention heels!!"

"Quick, then, give them to me."

Jess sighs, thinking that there can't be a better solution, and quickly slips off her shoes and hands them to Elijah.

He then grabs her small hand and they run to the dining room, laughing hysterically as they trip over their own feet.

Jess and Elijah rush into the room, flushed from all the running.

King Maxon glances up from his dinner. "Glad that you could join us," he says sternly, but Jess can see that he's not really mad.

Elijah and Jess make eye contact and try not to laugh as Elijah hands Jess her heels.

"Looks like you had fun," America says, cocking an eyebrow.

Jess blushes and eats a forkful of gravy-soaked pork. Throughout the rest of the dinner, Jess and Elijah keep making eye contact, grinning from ear-to-ear.