Chapter Nine - Part Two

A few minutes later, they're both sitting down again, happy with each other's presence.

"What's your family like, Jack?" Jess asks, raising her near empty glass to her lips. She places it back down on the bedside table, a small lipstick stain on the rim.

Jack looks down.

"You don't have to say anything if it's a tender subject," Jess says softly.

Shaking his head, Jack Lee squints slightly. "No... it's not that. It's just... well, I wouldn't normally tell you but I feel as if the circumstances have changed, so," He looks up and takes a deep breath. "It's just me and my granddad, back at my house, my dad has to stay away working every day. My mother died a while ago, and my grandma died long before I was born."

Jess's mouth falls slightly open.

Jack Lee continues on, deciding to just spill everything. "I had an older brother who worked as a soldier, but he was killed in action. His name was Antonio. And my little sister, Annette, passed away from pneumonia a few years ago."

Jess is completely still. She has no idea what to say. "I... I'm so... I'm really sorry, Jack,"

The pale boy doesn't relax his tight grip on his mug. "But, in answer to your question, my father is a really stoic and patient man, from what I can remember. The last time I saw him was a few Christmases ago... because, you see... he works here."

"Jesus Christ, Jack," Jess whispers, her hand hovering around her mouth. "I'm so sorry,"

He looks down at his mug, silent.

"For everything." The princess swallows. "I know you've probably heard this all before, but... is there anything I can do?"

Jess doesn't miss how his eyes flicker up towards her before back down to his cup.

"No. But... I appreciate the concern. Thank you."

Jess purses her lips. "Jack Lee..."

"Just Jack, Your Highness."

Jess's lips turn up slightly at the side. "Just Jess,"

"Look, Jack... I don't know if this is the right time to ask..."

His eyes widen ever so slightly. "Hm?"

"But... why do you limp?"

"Oh," He looks to the side and tries to laugh.

Jess can't help but think that he was expecting a different question. "Sorry, you don't have to answer. I understand that it could be a sensitive topic,"

"No, no," He smiles at her and adjusts his position so that his left foot is up on the bed. "I'll spare you of seeing my barefoot, but, I was diagnosed with a rare case of juvenile arthritis when I was twelve."

"Ah. Um... what does that mean?" Jess blushes, but Jack only shakes his head with a smile.

"Generally arthritis is associated with old people, so I can see why it's confusing. But, basically, arthritis is the swelling and stiffness of joints. So, right here-" He gently touches where his ankle would be underneath his long suit pants. "-is about twice or three times the size of my other skinny-ass ankle, and I can barely move it. And here-" He taps on the toes of his shiny black shoes. "-my poor, little toes, have the same symptoms. Though I can hardly call them little with the size they've ballooned up to," He chuckles.

Furrowing her eyebrows, Jess taps on the glass she's holding. "So - sorry if this is insensitive - but do you have two different sized shoes?"

Jack swings his other leg up onto the bed and wiggles his right foot. "They're the same size, but I fill this one with tissues. Socks, if I'm feeling spontaneous."

Jess laughs with Jack this time.

While he drinks his coffee and she drinks her water, Jack reveals that his diagnosis was a pretty big deal in his family. They lived on a small piece of land with a few animals, so Jack couldn't do a lot of the chores he had to, and he could no longer walk to school. They had no other means of transportation, so his grandfather home-schooled him every day.

Jack was made fun of, but his amazing brother threatened the bullies into silence. He even got beat up a couple of times for standing up for his little brother.

Jack stopped telling his story and he looked down, blinking away tears.

Jess could feel her heart break. "Jack... I'm sure he would be so, so proud of you to see you here."

His emerald eyes glisten with tears as he smiles gratefully. "Yeah. He would be."

------------------------------------------------------------

"Alright, I really should go," Jess says, looking at a clock on the wall.

Jack immediately stands up. "Yes - right, of course,"

Jess chews on her lip, surveying his tousled black hair and the bags under his eyes. "Anything you need, alright?"

Nodding, he smiles slightly. "Alright,"

"I feel like a hug is appropriate right now," She says, a red tinge spreading across her pale cheeks. "Y-y'know, like friends do..."

He rubs his neck, also blushing. "Yeah! Er, yes. Sure. Thanks."

At least he's as awkward as me, Jess shrugs. She puts her arms underneath his and squeezes gently.

He tenses, his arms awkwardly hovering around her waist and back without actually touching her. Then he relaxes and squeezes her back. "Thank you,"

A little bit giddy, Jess walks to the door and waves goodbye.

"Oh, er - the cup-"

"Oh!" Blushing like mad, Jess puts the cup down on his dresser. "Right. Erm. Okay. S-see you later, then." And she shuts the door behind her.

Trying to calm down his fast-beating heart, Jack Lee sits down on his bed, his back against the wall of pillows he never used.

Jozeph walks back into the room and surveys Jack, then they empty glass he was staring at. "Sir," he says quietly. "You made a promise,"

Jack exhales through his nose. "I know..." He closes his eyes but can only think of the smell of Jess's bright hair, of the comforting feeling of her arms around him. "I know," he whispers.