Chapter Twenty-one - Part One

Back in the Men's Room, ten boys stand in a line in front of King Maxon, Queen America, Jess and the Advisor Ruby.

Elijah, Carter, Jack, Aaron, Andrew, Christion, Alejandro, Dominic, Cole and Robert each stand silently as the monarchs and the advisor lecture them.

"The competition will only get harder," Maxon says sternly, looking at each of the boys. "Less suitors mean more responsibility. You will be expected to work harder, and make your decisions wisely. Jess?"

Jess steps forward. She chose to wear a black lace, V-Neck gown to show that she was all business.

 She chose to wear a black lace, V-Neck gown to show that she was all business

"Thank you, father," she says. She stands up in front of the lads, shoulders rolled back. "I am assuming you have all read the paper," she says loudly and clearly, staring each member down.

A few boys look away. Some nod. Cole winces.

"Hear me now: if you think that ridiculing me, blackmailing me or any attempt at putting me below you is going to make me less powerful," Jess pauses. "You are dead wrong. Nothing will get in my way."

Silence. Then, Robert starts clapping.

Next to join is Dominic.

Then all ten suitors are clapping Jess out of pure respect and awe.

Andrew nods approvingly, making Jess sigh with relief.

She nods. "Thank you," and then returns into the line with her parents and her Advisor. "Miss Ruby, do you have anything to add?"

The small woman nods and steps forward. "I am, of course, on Princess Jessica's side on this matter. We are doing everything within our capabilities to figure out who is in charge of this scandal that could very well be considered treason. I am also trained in multiple self-defence techniques and will do everything in my power to ensure this doesn't happen again."

Jess can see Aaron visibly gulp.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

"Your Highness, are you sure it is wise for you two to be seen together?"

Jess waves a dismissive hand at the Advisor as they busily walk down the halls. "Lady Ruby, if we're going to solve the mystery of the photographer and stop my public humiliation, I need him to do it with me. He knows what he's doing.

Ruby purses her lips as she hurries to keep up with Jess. "In no way do I mean to question your methods, Your Highness, but are you maybe turning a blind eye to the fact that Mr Jack Lee is still a suspect?"

Jess's power walk falters. "I..." she clears her throat. "No. I am not turning a blind eye. I fully trust Jack Lee and believe that he is only trying to help."