Chapter Three - part one

Jess eats her pancakes in silence, looking at the boys, trying to figure out what her next step should be when she makes eye contact with Cole.

He winks at her, before pointing to his pancakes and mouthing "SO GOOD!!"

Jess snorts, spilling milk on to the tablecloth in front of her.

Cole slaps his hand over his mouth, nearly crying with laughter.

"Jessica," The King says, interrupting Jess's silent conversation with Cole.

"Sorry," Jess says, wiping her mouth with a napkin. "What's up?"

Maxon surveys the boys as if trying to uncover their deepest secrets. "What are your plans for today?"

Jess shrugs. "I was planning on visiting the kitten that Officer Leger found yesterday, but then I have a stack of paperwork to do."

"You know you actually have to take part in the Selection, right, honey?"

Jess scrunches up her nose.

"You could always take a boy of your choice with you, that would make a cute first date."

Jess blushes. "Whatever, Dad. I still have to spend some time with all of them."

With that being said, Jess stands up and makes her way down to the men's table. "Hello, gentlemen!" She greets.

Everyone mumbles a polite reply.

"Please, contain your excitement," she says drily.

A few boys blush, but others laugh and call out cheerful greetings, Cole amongst the latter.

"Today, I believe, your instructor will be teaching you some princely lessons, and then after all that we will be having a picnic. Then, some of you will be eliminated."

Uneasy glances shift around the table.

Undeterred, Jess smiles. "Until then, see you later!" She says, before adjusting her tiara and leaving the room.

--

As Jess walks into the gardens, followed by three photographers, everyone stands up.

"Greetings, suitors!" Jess smiles. "How's the food so far?"

"The juiciest oranges I've ever tasted!" Pipes up a boy who Jess recognises as Christion Clark, from Calgary. His red hair compliments his stunning green eyes.

"Hey," Jess laughs, pointing to her hair that is up in a loose bun. "We match!"

Christion laughs. "A fellow ranga is a monarch I'd trust!"

"Barely a feat to be proud of," Someone interjects.

Jess turns to him and squints. "Oh?"

The tan boy with blonde hair shrugs. "In my opinion, there are much more attractive features."

Alejandro scowls at the boy.

Jess smiles poisonously. "That's okay, we're all entitled to our own opinion. What was your name, again?"

The boy turns red. "Nathaniel Howard," he mutters.

"Ah, I remember now," Jess says in a honeyed voice. "Please, continue eating, gentlemen. I'm going to be having some one-on-one time!"

You make eye contact with Christion. "Let's go,"

He gets up excitedly.

"Your Highness, just give us the word and we will beat him up," he says heatedly. "That prick from Columbia has just been trash-talking everyone in the Men's Room, none of us like him."