Chapter Two

Jess waits outside one large room that has been turned into the Men's Room, sweating like mad. She's about to see the suitors for the first time.

"Don't worry, Princess," Officer Leger says, squeezing her on the shoulder. "This worked out for your mother, so I'm sure that it will work out for you."

Jess smiled appreciatively. "Thanks, Officer Leger. I'm ready."

Officer Leger waves to a butler, who goes into the Men's Room. "Good luck," the handsome older man whispers, before taking his post a few metres away.

A short, blonde boy makes his way over to Jess. "Your Highness," he bows.

Jess nods. "And you are?"

"James Thompson, from Allens, Your Highness." He says, straightening up.

No hello? No 'how are you princess this must be really stressful for you?'

"Alright. Thank you, you may follow the butler."

He bows again before being lead up to his quarters.

"I had no idea people could have absolutely no personality," Jess sighs. She hears Officer Leger snort from the other side of the room.

Another boy walks out of the Men's Room, but his foot catches on the side and he nearly topples over.

Jess gasps, but the boy laughs and continues walking over to her.

"I see I've made a great first impression as an incredibly stable individual," he says.

Jess smiles. "I don't know, you seem pretty capable."

"Pfft, of falling over, maybe." The boy bows. "I'm Cole Gray, from Lakedon. It's nice to meet you, Your Highness!"

The Princess tilts her head, her long red hair cascading down her shoulder. "Call me Jessica."

A bright smile lights up Cole's face, and it doesn't fade as he is led away to his room.

"Your Highness,"

Jess jumps.

A tall boy with glasses stands in front of Jess. "I'm so sorry, did I startle you?" he asks, concerned.

"Oh," Jess says, turning pink. "No, no. You just... caught me... off guard."

He smiles warmly. "I apologise. My name is Carter Washington, I'm here from Angeles."

Jess returns the smile and then notices the colour of Carter's eyes behind his large frames. Or rather, colours. His left eye was a stormy grey, while the other was a soft blue.

"Your Highness?" He asks. "Is something the matter?"

Jess blushes. "N-no, everything's fine. You can follow the butler. To your room."

Jess has more and more encounters with many interesting boys. She eventually comes across the boy whose name she couldn't pronounce.

"It's Ah-leh-han-dro Per-ehz," he says in an accent that Jess couldn't place.

"Ohh," Jess laughs awkwardly. "Sorry for saying it wrong on the Report, I really suck at pronouncing names."

"Don't worry," he smiles, two dimples showing on his cheeks. "I will forgive someone as beautiful as you."

Jess's eyes widen, taken aback at the very direct compliment. "Oh. Uh. Thank you! You can follow the butler to your room,"

As he leaves, Officer Leger comes back to her. "That was the last one, Your Highness."

Jess sighs. "Finally. God, how long did that take!?"

"I believe around two hours, Your Highness."

Jess has to refrain from swearing. She's been scolded plenty times by her parents for using words that were 'not deemed for royalty to speak'. She only knew them because of Auntie May and her extensive vocabulary.

"I believe your parents are waiting for you in your room, Miss Schreave." Officer Leger says, avoiding my eye contact.

Jess groans. "Of course they are. Thanks, Mr Leger!" She goes on her toes and kisses him on the cheek, and then runs off to her room, preparing on what to say to her parents about the charming boys.