Chapter 43

•This story takes scenes from the Harry Potter series. I want to make it clear that I don't own those scenes. That's owned by
J.K. Rowling. Thank you•

~Claire~

"I'm so nervous," Scarlett breathed out as we found seats in the stands. I was sat in between George and Scarlett, Fred of course being on Scarlett's other side.

"Don't be," I smiled. "He's gonna do great."

The Quidditch Pitch was unrecognizable with the twenty-foot-high hedge running along the edge of it. You could see where the Champions were with their Head Masters and judges, but the rest of the maze was covered in mist to the point where you couldn't see a thing.

The stars were starting to peep through the deepening blue sky, and I knew Sirius wouldn't be to happy when I got back.

"Ladies and gentlemen!" A voice boomed throughout the stands. "The third and final task of the Triwizard Tournament is about to begin! Let me remind you how the points currently stand! Tied in first place, on eighty-five points each — Mr. Cedric Diggory and Mr. Harry Potter, both of Hogwarts School!" We all cheered loudly, Scarlett letting out a big 'Whoop!'

"In second place, on eighty points — Mr. Viktor Krum, of Durmstrang Institute!" More applause. "And in third place — Miss Fleur Delacour, of Beauxbatons Academy!"

At the blow of a whistle, Harry and Cedric ran into the maze. A second blow and Viktor went. At the last blow of his whistle Fleur was gone.

For what felt like hours we sat there waiting. We made light conversation as the time passed, but I'd be lying if I said my nerves weren't growing at every second that passed.

When the first red sparks flew into the air, I held my breath in anticipation.

Not Harry.

An hour later, and no sign of anything.

Another hour passed and then, bam!

Out of nowhere Harry and Cedric appeared where they started, clutching the cup with them. I stood up to get a better look at him. Albus was bent over talking to him, blocking him from my view.

And then all of a sudden a voice called out something none of us expected. "He's dead!"

And then again. "He's dead! Cedric Diggory! Dead!"

A gasp left my mouth and I immediately looked over at Amos and his wife, both who were left dumbstruck.

All at once everyone moved forward. The Diggorys' had a space cleared for them to get through but I had to fight through the crowd.

By the time I got down there Dumbledore had led Harry away to what I assumed to be the Hospital Wing. Amos and his wife were sobbing over Cedric's body and I felt an immediate pang in my heart. I couldn't even begin to imagine how I'd feel had that been Harry.

"Clairesse," a voice said behind me. I turned around to see Minerva, her eyes darting around the crowd. "Get Sirius up here. Dumbledore's requested you both meet him in his office."

I just nodded, still in shock of everything that was happening. I hurried up to the castle, sending a patronus to Sirius once I knew nobody could see or hear me. I ran up to Dumbledore's office, making it there right when Sirius stumbled out of the fireplace.