⚔️11⚔️

“Steep mountain ahead, you should get on the horse.” Damian announced when he and Enya had arrived to the base of a mountain.

“I'll be fine dad, a little climbing won't kill me.” Enya assured him, even though she wanted to take up her father's offer to get on the horse. But the last thing she wanted was putting strain on Smoke, who was already looking tired. “Maybe we should stop and rest for a bit, I'll walk ahead to see if there's any berries.”

“Be careful love, don't want you getting jumped by a bear or mountain cat.” Damian warned his daughter as she helped him slip off Smoke.

“I'll be fine, I've got Amaya to protect me.” Enya joked as the dog barked in agreement. “I’ll be back as soon as I can.”

As they were climbing up the mountain, Enya and Amaya came across a fork in the road. One path was worn, possibly from use, and the other wasn't. She wasn't sure which way

“If I was an assassin with two hostages- three if we're counting Bait- what path would I take?” Enya muttered to herself. “A well worn path, easy to use and lead you to a town more quickly? Or the barely used path that possibly leads to danger and gets you horribly lost?”

Deciding it was better to ask her father, since he had traveled more in his youth, Enya headed back down the mountain with Amaya. Along the way, she found a large and thick stick on the ground and picked it up, deciding it would make a perfect walking stick for herself or for her father later.

“Dad, there's a fork up ahead but I don't know which way we should head.” Enya announced when she reached her father, who was drinking from his water skin. “Could you help?”

“Describe the paths.” Damian replied, wiping his mouth.

“Well one is pretty well worn, most likely a path used by travelers like us. And the other hardly looks used.”

Damian rubbed his chin in thought. “I suppose it'd be safer to use the more worn road, especially if it means we can get to whatever town is nearby at a much faster pace.”

“I should check your leg first, see how it is.”

“Dear, you've checked it this morning before we left.”

“Dad, I can see red leaking through the bandages.” Enya glanced down at her father's leg and grimaced at the sight of the red stain on her father's leg. “You need a doctor, like right now.”

Damian looked down at his leg with a frown before looking back up to his daughter. “Then we'll both have to ride the horse together. When we reach the top where the path splits in two, we'll take the worn one.”

Enya helped her father climb back onto Storm before letting him help her up. She gave Storm's sides a small squeeze and flicked the reins to get her walking. They walked up the mountain, making sure not to get Storm to break into a run to waste the energy she needed when they had to go down. Once they got to the top where the path split in two, Enya jumped down to grab Amaya and handed her off to her father.

“It's for your own good, don't want you getting hurt.” Enya said as the sheepdog started whining in protest of being so high off the ground. “Also Storm is much faster than you, don't want to leave you in the dust.”

“Ready?” Damian asked once Enya got back on.

“Ready.” Enya replied with a small nod and flicked the reins hard. “Go!”

Storm gave a loud whiny and took off down the path. Enya felt her father cling to her for dear life with Amaya sandwiched between them and releasing small yelps of alarm. After what felt like a long time, Enya yanked on the reins to slow Storm down and brought her to a halt.