Through The Moon (Part 4)

For the next month, the group spent endless days and nights putting together the contraption Allen had built - some sort of device that allowed them to fish the heavy rocks out of the water and place them in their original places without injuring themselves. Soren and Enya would go with Allen to the woods outside of the sanctuary to cut down a few small trees and with Callum and Rayla's help, they'd discreetly carried it back to the workshop where they'd help the craftsman start building according to Callum's designs. Ezran really couldn't do much, so he and Amaya spent time helping Phoe-Phoe practice her flying, which was a bit easier than when they helped Zym learn to fly.

Once they had their pieces built, they'd quietly take the pieces towards the stone ruins to put it together, where their real work began. Many days passed as they worked tirelessly, lifting the stones to place them back in their places, getting more rope when it wore out, until finally, it was done.

"Wow, we actually did it!" Enya sighs in relief as they dropped the last stone in place. "And it actually took us a month!"

"That was...one of the dumber things I've agreed to do." Soren groans as he drops to the floor and lays back.

"Really?" Enya asks teasingly as Amaya walks over to sniff his hair and lick his cheek. "Dumber than the time Claudia dared you to climb that tree in the courtyard and sleep in it for a whole hour?"

"Yes..."

"Why don't we all take a breather tonight, come back in the morning to show Lujanne what we've done?" Allen suggests. "We could all use the rest."

"It's past his majesty's bedtime anyways, some rest sounds great." Enya agrees with a chuckle as Ezran gives a yawn before she looks back to her husband still laid on the ground. "Hey Soren, need me to carry you back to our room?"

"Nope, I can walk myself." He says as he gets up and stretches. "Man I can use some sleep. Can we just sleep in until the afternoon?"

"You wouldn't be able to, but we can try." Enya chuckles before scooping up Ezran into her arms. "Come on my king, a growing boy like you needs your sleep."

"I thought you were gonna carry Soren to bed?" Ezran asks as they walked, Allen and Soren following them with Amaya and Bit walking ahead and Phoe-Phoe flying overhead.

"He's a grown man, he can walk himself to bed."

"You just offered to carry me!" Soren shouts and they laugh. "Fine I'll carry you!"

Enya gives a laugh and bolts forward, hugging Ezran tightly to her chest as she runs until they reach stone steps leading back to the sanctuary. "Can't catch us!" She yells.

"Oh Lujanne!" Ezran yells when they see the mage ahead of them. "Hey we finished our project!"

"Oh did you?" She asks when they reach her. "Enya why are you so out of breath?"

"Oh just running from my husband, turns out I'm much faster than him even when I'm weighed down by a ten year old." Enya responds with a smile.

"Ah, I remember when I was like that with my first husband." Lujanne chuckles. "Young love, you best enjoy this time with him."

Before Enya could respond, she hears a loud noise, like some sort of explosion, and turns to see the lake behind them glowing brightly.

"Isn't that the moon nexus?" Ezran asks and looks to Lujanne.

"They couldn't-" the mage suddenly bolts down the stairs without warning.

"What's got her spooked?" Enya asks as she sets Ezran down.

"Something could be wrong with it?" Ezran suggests. "Didn't Callum and Rayla stay behind at the ruins?"

Wait...oh no. Enya's eyes widened in horror. "Oh no no no! Callum!"