- Kiss from the Devil -

"William, why did you invited Delaney here? Tell me again, my dear husband, why?" Anna Henrietta, marching back and forth across the dining room, stared at her husband angrily.

He, enjoying his breakfast, ignored her piercing glare and took a sip of coffee, before he answered for the last time. "He is very powerful, influental, rich man, Anna. We have to keep him in our lifes now, when he is Salem's citizen. Like it or not. He is getting richer everyday. Not only Spain payed him for Nootka, somebody told me, that with every ship and cargo that grounds in their harbor, it means more money for Mr. Delaney. And!" he raised his finger, to cut her off before she could make a sound. "Why do you think he is here? Salem's harbor has a really great geographic location for trades with China, India. You see? I believe he knows it too and that is why he came here."

Oh,William, you poor bastard.

"Good morning," Rhiannon entered the dinning room and sat next to William.

"Good morning. You look tired, Rhiannon, didn't you sleep well?"

"I did."

Of course I didn't. I haven't slept since he came to Salem.

"Is Nathaniel coming today?" Anna Henrietta sat in front of Rhiannon.

"He does, why?"

"Mr. Delaney will come to join your father during hunt," Anna announced, examinig Rhiannon's reactions and face expressions.

"Well, then have a nice time, father. I think Nathaniel won't join you. He is not a type for this kind of entertainment."

"Excuse me, but Mr. Cabot just arrived," servant entered the dinning room.

"I'll join him," William stood up, immediately followed by Anna Henrietta. "Me too. Rhiannon?"

"I will have breakfast first," she said without looking at her.

"Well, hurry! Don't make him wait too long!" Anna murmured nervously and left.

Playing with a fork, she sighed and sat in silence. Not even a single thought passed her mind. Quiet, like a calm before the storm.

Shivers running down her spine and goosebumps covered her arms few minutes later, when she heard a horse in front of their house.

Few seconds.

Heavy steps in the next room.

"Rhiannon!" she heard man's voice saying her name avidly, when she walked in the room, where was William, Nathaniel and James.

"Good morning, Nathaniel," she nodded her head and went to him, allowing him to kiss her hand.

"Good morning," she turned to James, who wasn't even looking at her. "Sir."