Moon and Stars

"I used to pretend I could fly above rooftops, and come a superhero.

My dreams were never too big,

I used to reach for stars in the sky,

Pull down the moon and hide it deep inside my pocket.

When I was younger I could play pretend.

I was unfiltered and uncensored by my imagination.

I grew older.

I saw the stars were a little harder to reach, even when I stood on a mountain top.

I could play pretend, but I'd need a little help, my imagination wasn't as last, and my mind wasn't as vibrant with color as it once was.

Now, instead of blues and greens, my mind only sees dull grey and black.

Life faded into an old black and white oil painting left out in the rain.

I've grown tired now. My skin, falling into territory only my grandmother knew. My tempered soul years for the color again. I sit in an old rocking chair, pretending my feet could still stand as if i were a statue in Central Park.

Alas, it is finally time for me to teach the stars I've wanted my whole life.

I've chosen to keep the moon in the sky, for you. To remember me by.

My blue eyes, will watch over you, and wash over you like the water from an ocean, and the pale blue from my eyes will watch over you, like the sky on a warm summer day.

You will miss me, but i will miss you more. I'll miss your hugs, and your smile. How it used to always warm my heart, and fill my senses, like a colored oil painting sitting in the window of an art gallery, with a Sunbeam glaring down upon it.

I no longer have to pretend I am a super hero, flying atop of the sky.

I no longer have to yearn moon, for it is my neighbor.

And the stars wrap me in a warm blanket.

One day you will learn what its like to shake hands with the moon and stars in the sky.