2.2 | reunion

"Dad! Why have you taken her in?" Upon entering his chambers and meeting my Father, that was the first thing I questioned.

"Is there a problem, Lee Haechan?" His voice was terse, almost suspicious.

"No, dad." I shook my head quickly.

He narrows his eyes at me.

"Jeno told me you were over Soojung. What are you so reluctant for?"

I pursed my lips, considering my next words.

"...I simply do not think this is right, dad. Involving an innocent human—

"Innocent, you say?" He snaps at me, and I look up in surprise. His facial features were stiff, and he looked anything but pleased.

"You may be right, but this is the time for us to take down the vampires. You heard, haven't you? The vampire king has numbered days...we have to take this opportunity to prevent the prince from acquiring his throne."

I widened my eyes in shock as the meaning of his words sunk in.

"You're...going to kill him?"

He regards me silently as I stare back at him in disbelief.

"Don't worry about the human girl, son. She will be released safely when the vampire prince arrives. Now leave me be."

I gritted my teeth, frustrated.

Then I turned on my heels and headed for the door...but stopped short, my hand hovering above the door knob.

And then it drops to my side.

Slowly, I turned around to face my Father again.

Never let history repeat itself. The fact that she's here in the Underworld...means that she is in danger.

I opened my mouth to ask for the worst.

"...What happens to her...if the prince never shows?"

Father looks up from his desk, his eyes burning into mine.

"Then I will have no use for her."

He replies, not a hint of empathy in his voice.

"What is that supposed to mean, Dad?!"

I yelled, momentarily blinded by rage.

"Lee Haechan!" He screams back at me, effectively returning me to my senses. "I will not tolerate your behaviour. Keep it in mind that your priority is not her, do you hear me?"

I bit my lower lip, refusing to respond and I turned my back on him once more. But before I could stride out of his room,

He adds, "And should you choose to betray your clan, you will not be spared even if you are my son."

__________________________

"Hello, cousin," A familiar face greets me with a smirk as soon as I stepped out of Father's room.

I frowned upon seeing him.

"Why the scary face, Haechan? You're the one who allowed me to take the girl here." His smug smile still lingers, and he pushes himself off the wall he had been leaning on.

I chose to ignore his words, and asked, "Where is she?"

He eyes me for a short moment. Then he replies,

"The last room at the end of the east corridor."

I quickly turn on my heels.

"Going to see the sleeping beauty, Chan? You'd be an uninvited guest...or could it be that you're going to save her?"

His voice dripped with sarcasm...and a tiny bit of amusement.

"Keep quiet, Jeno."

"Yes, of course. I'll inform the guards to leave you two to your discretion, then, werewolf prince."