2.5 | memory

"Haechan?"

Hye In exclaims in surprise as her door abruptly clicks open, and there stood her schoolmate.

"What are you—

She opens her mouth to voice her question, but Haechan hastily grabs her wrist.

"Follow me. You need to get out of this place before my Father becomes anymore of a threat to you."

She furrows her brows. She recalls the werewolf king's words...that she would only be released if the vampire prince came for her. "Wait!"

She pulls her wrist away from Haechan's grip.

"Tell me what's going on first, or I'm not going anywhere."

The werewolf prince sighs.

"Look, it's a long story. I'll explain it to you later, okay? We have to leave now, while my Father is still distracted."

"Distracted?" Hye In widens her eyes in realisation. There could only be one way he would be 'distracted'.

"Renjun...he's here?"

She knew it only meant danger for him if he had come for her.

Haechan's hand that was extended towards her falls back to his side as he notes the look on her face.

He recognised it.

Long ago...Soojung had the exact same expression on her face. It was an expression that was filled with relief... and a tiny bit of fear.

The fear of losing someone important to her.

A fragment of his memory with Soojung unwillingly came back to him.

The haunting sound of a car horn, the bright headlights...and all the blood.

Her blood.

The two of them had been in a car together, with Haechan as the driver when the accident had took place.

Haechan had no doubt survived that crash, but for Soojung...she died from shock. Protecting him.

What a fool, he had thought, but her last words to him...were said in that very same expression she was showing him right now.

"I love you."

Haechan swallowed hard, returning himself to his senses.

"No, he's not here. Our plan is to slip out while Jaemin's keeping my Father busy, when his guard is down."

"Jaemin?"

She seemed puzzled to hear that name, and he tells her,

"Like I said, it's a long story. We need to make our way out now. Trust me."

He offers her his hand once again. She glances at him once, then back at his open palm.

"Alright."

She firmly takes his hand, and it was then he made a promise to himself — that he would be the one to protect her this time.

He promptly leads Hye In out and away from the room she had been imprisoned in.

Their destination?

The surface.

______________________________

A/N: 'i love you', Soojung said. well, it has been hinted before that in Hye In's past life, she chose to be with Haechan (see: chapter 1.9 | history repeats).