epilogue

One year later

My eyes flickered open, tears slipping down my cheeks, breathing unnaturally fast.

I took in my surroundings — warm sunlight filtered in through my bedroom window, in contrast to my weary emotions.

I slowly sat up on my bed, blinking my tears away.

The same recurring dream...again. Only that it isn't.

For a while now, I've kept seeing a replay of that day in my nightmares. I could never forget it.

I pressed my lips into a thin line, holding back any more tears that threatened to fall as I got out of bed and headed towards the washroom.

Turning the tap on, the gushing water somewhat calmed me down as I wiped the dry tears on my cheeks, my breathing gradually growing stable.

Lifting my head, my eyes met with my reflection. Flushed red cheeks, swollen eyes.

My hair was in a mess, tangled up and sticky with my tears. So I tied it up into a ponytail.

With the absence of my hair, my neck became much more visible — the scar on the left side catching my eye.

My fingers automatically brought themselves up to caress it, and it was as if I could feel the sensation of his fangs against my skin again.

His unsteady deep breaths on my neck, the feeling of dripping warm blood on my collar bone.

The sound of the doorbell resounded throughout my apartment, breaking me away from my reverie.

I swiftly wiped off the last of my tears, sniffling. My feet pattered quickly across the wooden tiles as I proceeded to yank open the door.

I didn't even need to see his face to know who my visitor was. Without hesitation, I threw my arms around his waist, pushing my face into his shoulder.

"Hye In? What's wrong?" His worried voice reached my ears, causing me to tighten my grip around him.

I could feel that his entire body was tense, until he let out a slow breath and returned my embrace.

His arm snaked around my waist to pull me closer, his free hand holding the back of my head.

We remained that way, basking in each other's warmth, until I heard my neighbour's door clicking open.

I gasped softly in surprise, hastily pulling away.

Fortunately, my neighbour didn't see what was happening, but just shot a curious glance at us before heading downstairs.

"So what's the matter, Hye? Why...were you crying?" He asked after I let him enter my flat, the two of us seated on the sofa.

"Oh...um," My orbs cast to the ground, not sure if I should mention about my recurring nightmares.

"I just...had a bad dream. About when I was about to lose—

He frowned. "Wait,"

His cool fingers cupped my cheek, raising it such that I was facing him. My eyes widened in astonishment not because of his sudden action, but more of his expression.

"I'm sorry I asked. You look like you're going to cry again." His gaze, and grip on me was gentle. As if I was glass.

My orbs lingered on his dark ones for a while before they darted away, "No, no. I'm fine now. Really."

"Hye In..." He moved his head such that it was in my line of sight again. "You don't have to worry. I'm here with you now, and I'm not going anywhere. I love you, okay?"

I could feel the raw emotion in his voice, along with his sincerity. He had meant every word.

So I smiled wistfully, whispering, "Thank you..."

Flashback.

Before Haechan could get me out of the room, I noticed how Renjun's eyes had glowed a bright red-orange.

I instantly knew what that meant — he needed blood, and quick. Haechan had lied...there was a way to save him.

Shrugging off Haechan's hand, without a second thought, I rushed towards Renjun, my arms encircling around his weak body.

I gently brought his head to the crook of my neck.

He stiffens, "What are you..."

"Do it."

"No...I can't..."

"I don't care, Huang Renjun. I'd rather not lose you."

His heavy breathing intensified, his grip on my arms tightening.

"You'll become a vampire..."

"Then I'll just live with you until I die."

With my words of affirmation, Renjun closed the distance between his lips and my neck.

Hot tears sprung up in my eyes as his canine teeth pierced through my flesh. I had to stifle a whimper.

I could feel the blood being drained out of me, my veins pulsating wildly as I gradually grew weary.

And within seconds, I was out cold.

End of flashback.

"...Renjun. I love you, too."

____________________________

a/n: thank you for all your support towards this book! i'm sorry for only updating the epilogue now...there were too many things going on.

nonetheless, i hope that you enjoyed the book, and see you around for my other books!