2.9 | confrontation

a/n: finally an update TT sorry guys :(

"Is Haechan still unresponsive?" The head of the werewolf clan looks down coldly at Jeno, his nephew.

"Yes...he's locked himself up in his room and refuses to come out." Jeno's empty eyes met his uncle's.

"Tsk, is the death of one human girl so significant? I knew it would've been better if she never existed. She was an unnecessary pawn." The man's chilly voice said, hatred evident in his tone.

Jeno bit his lip, hesitating to say something, which he eventually did.

"...He loved her, Uncle."

"Loved her?" The older werewolf's thunderous laughter echoed throughout the room. "What a joke. She's a jinx — purposefully getting in my way. I wanted a war with those blood thirsty beings, but she became an obstacle to me,"

"I'm even glad that she's dead."

There was no remorse in his voice. He had meant every syllable.

Jeno's eyes darted to the floor, uncomfortable. He had seen first hand how his cousin was suffering. How he was blaming himself for everything.

Yet, his own father...was in favour of her death. Soojung's.

"Don't look like that, Jeno. Now that she's gone, prepare for war. You're sensible, aren't you? Not like my son."

a/n: anyone about to throw hands?

_________________________________

Present day

"So you've all decided to come. How convenient."

The familiar mocking tone of voice regarded us. I never imagined that I would come back here, and this time, willingly.

Haechan, Renjun and I were currently before the werewolf clan's leader. We talked it out yesterday about our next steps, and this was what we decided on.

We would face the problem. Directly. It was dangerous, but I insisted on doing it this way. Jaemin wasn't here, but instead back at the vampire's castle as the temporary head. Just in case.

"I'm not here to fight. Let's just talk. " I stood tall before the flight of stairs that led to his seat.

"Talk?" The man scoffs. "Rather diplomatic of you. Well, in honour of your courage, I'll hear you out."

I sucked in a deep breath, "Please stop this. This useless brawl between vampires and your kind."

He chuckles. "This is what you wanted to talk about? I'm disappointed. You must know I'm out for your head now,"

His cool gaze skims over both his son and Renjun.

"And the two beside you."

Annoyed, Renjun piques up. "That's enough. All these years, the vampires has never wanted war. You were the core of it all. You were the initiator. And you still are,"

"Are you still insistent on destroying this peace?"

I notice how the werewolf's fingers curled up into a fist as it rests on the arm of his chair. His expression had been stoic, but now...it turned dark.

"What would you do if I insisted?" His lips curved into an eerie smile, gaze settling on me.

"I would stop you." Haechan pushed me behind his back protectively, looking up at his father with defiant eyes.

A smug grin still plastered on his face, he speaks. "Then, you must already know my answer,"

Before us, his father's human features began to fade away — his limbs started to expand erratically, hair growing rapidly. His fingers turned into long, sharp claws that were undeniably dangerous.

"Clench your jaw, my son."

His muscular legs left the ground, fist held high, aiming right at Haechan.

"Get out of the way, now!" Haechan managed to yell, and everything that happened after that was a blur.

Renjun grabbed hold of my arm and yanked me towards his body, my nose colliding against his chest.

Behind me, a sickening crack could be heard, and so I turned around in trepidation.

___________________________

a/n: next chapter is the last chapter ~ there may be an epilogue, though. i'll try to finish this series by chinese new year