now she's getting married

song: now she's getting married by alec benjamin

(okay I've never cried so much while writing something so bear with me on this one)

she was mine
and now she's getting married
and I'm not the one she'll kiss goodnight

The moment he saw his friends Instagram stories and pictures about the day he tried so hard to ignore it but he couldn't because he knew he made a mistake years ago — in fact, there was no need for Instagram posts for him to know such a thing, the lack of happiness in his life ever since things between them were over was all the proof he needed to be sure that he made a huge mistake by letting her go.

She was getting married and it wasn't to him, she had moved on and she was about to say yes to what would be the rest of her life, and he wasn't included, not even as a guest.

Ever since the first time they danced together he always believed that he was going to spend the rest of his life with her, by the time he meant as a friend but then they grew and became more than that. They dated for four years, from her sixteen to her twenty and it was the best four years of his life until life decided to not be as good to them anymore.

Things started to get hard as they were always traveling to teach in different places, sometimes staying more than a month or two without being able to be with each other for more than a day. And at first, the problem was just how much they missed each other but then the jealousy got into place, and paranoia and lack of trust — they started to fight over text messages, then over phone and facetime calls, and then the fights never stopped.

Before, if they only had two days to be with each other before one of them need to travel again, they would spend it by just doing nothing and enjoying each other company — suddenly all their free time became a stage for more intense fights.

we were young I'll admit, but I thought that this was it and now she's getting married, all my hope is buried

And they were both young, stupid and under pressure,  neither of them knew what they were doing and they were too stubborn to admit being wrong so they just keep fighting and hurting each other, even if that destroyed themselves too — the worst was that no matter how much they still loved each other their lives were still in different pages in the book of life, and it wasn't going to change anytime soon, therefore they really didn't know how to make it better. So they cried and break up, and never spoke to each other again.

Now three years later she was getting married to some random guy she met in some random place and he was still not over her.

Hence he opened a bottle of whiskey and toasted to his own unhappiness because that was the only thing he had to toast about.

she'll dress up wearing white

She wasn't over him. She hasn't moved on, she just settled for something better than nothing, because she believed that being loved by someone she didn't love was better than not being loved at all. So she played pretend and said yes when he asked her to marry him.

He was a good man and he loved and cared for her, and most importantly he was there when who she wanted wasn't. So she was doing this, she was going to marry him and learn to love and care for him as he did with her, because for once she just wanted things to work for her.

"Wow!" Her mother's words brought her back to reality as the woman walked into the room. "Oh honey, are you emotional? Here."

She gave Kaycee a tissue as she walked to stand by her daughter side in front of the mirror, Kaycee didn't even notice that she had tears in her eyes. "Thanks, mom."