talk (4th of july)

song: talk by Khalid

"So, my parents want to spend the 4th of July in the lake house this year." She said, eating grapes as he cooked for them.

"Really?" He asked, getting nervous by the second.

"Yeah, but dad doesn't want to take the trailer so we will probably split into two cars." She explained while eating and scrolling through Instagram, not really paying attention to him. "I was thinking we could ride with Kylie this time, last time we went with Dev and I was so left out, it's your turn to be left out." She joked.

"Yeah, hm... Kayc?" He called.

"Hm?" She asked, still looking at her phone.

"I was meaning to talk with you about this, actually... I was thinking about spending the 4th of July with my family this year." He noticed how she got nervous as her eyes fought to not look at him — they won, and now they were looking at each other.

"That's nice." She said, but he could tell she was confused about what she was feeling.

Don't get her wrong, she really believed it was nice of him to want to spend time with his family, it was lovely actually — it was just that having Sean on her family events was a thing now, he was part of the family and not spending a holiday or event with each other sounded odd to her, lonely almost.

"It's just that there are some friends from my father's work that he wanted to invite, and some relatives too, and mom wanted to host something this year." He explained as if he needed to, but he didn't, they were just friends so technically he didn't need to — but he knew that in reality, they were way more than that.

"It's fine, Sean, really." She said, smiling — trying not to show how bumped she really was, and yet he could read right through her.

"But I was also thinking that I don't know... maybe, just if you want, you know, like there's no need for you to say yes or anything... like you don't have-"

"Sean." She interrupted. "You are babbling."

He chuckled, taking a deep breath. "I was wondering if you didn't want to be with us, this year."

She looked at him surprised, as he kept going. "I mean, just if you want."

She smiled at his nervousness — if he was her, his cheeks would be blushing now. "I have to check with my mom, but I would love that, Sean."

"Good." He smiled to himself as he resumed cooking for them.

She did the same, as she went back to her phone. "Good."

Her mother said yes, for Sean's happiness — don't get him wrong, he loved spending time with his family and he was actually super excited to be with them, but he knew he wouldn't enjoy as much without Kaycee there, he was used to be with her and have her to any kind of celebration. He knew how to enjoy things without her, he simply preferred not to.

On the day of 4th of July, they agreed for her to meet him at his house so he spent most of his time by the door, waiting for her — after he had to greet random people and some relatives, she was finally the one ringing the bell.

"Hey." He said, opening the door — she looked beautiful as always, dressing in jeans and a striped top as her hair was straight with some waves at the end, it looked different to him as it was the first time he was seeing the new color in person.

She answered, shyly, and without knowing what to do next. "Hey."

"Oh, sorry, come in-"

"Actually, hm... can we talk first?" She asked, stepping to the side so he could meet her outside.