sleep on the floor

(this is gonna be inspired both by the music video and the song itself, so keep that in mind and don't watch the video before reading it so you don't get spoilers haha)

song: sleep on the floor by the lumineers

a very small town
May 27th, 9 am

People walked around and pass her as if she wasn't there. The usually so-quiet-house was now full of people, crowding and making noises from small talks — once in a while, someone would tell her how sorry they were, and how she would be in their prayers. She'd always thank them with a kind small, even though she never believed in God and wouldn't start just now.

The house had never been colorful but all the black that was there in the moment was making everything seem like a blur, just like the rest of the city had ever felt to her — a blur of nothing to which she didn't belong and never wanted to.

She had a dream once she was younger, a dream she shared with her best friend, a little Asian boy who lived next door. They would stay in the city just until they were done with school and then off to the world they'd go — cause if we don't leave this town, we might never make it out, he would say to her and she knew he was right because no one ever left this town, you were stuck on it if you didn't try to sneak yourself out in the first chance.

But things didn't go according to the plan — they were seventeen and he got a scholarship to a fancy college on the west coast, and she got a mother with cancer.

She stayed. He left.

Her mother didn't ask her to, but she told herself she had stayed, and she blamed on cancer because it was better than to tell herself or him, or the world really, how much she was scared of what the world could throw at her once she was out — she never wanted to be part of this town but it was everything she knew, it was safe and with her mother having cancer, feeling safe was everything she could ask for.

Now her mother was gone, and she was in the town prayers because she was alone — no one to take care of, no one to be with, no reason to stay in this town.

And realizing that was when her vision became less of a blur, and to her surprise there was him, walking in her direction.

He placed his hand on her upper arm, left a quick peck on her cheek, and whispered by her ear. "If we don't leave now, we might never make it out."

And a second later he was gone, walking out of her house and her feet were stuck to the ground as she tried to make up her mind —she had never thought she would have a second try, he was her chance to sneak out and in her mind she understood that now, so as if her spirit was leaving her body she ran out of the house and to him, leaving everything behind.

"Sean." She shouted as she ran out of the house with sweaty hands — he was about to walk inside a cab.

They stood eye to eye, it was the first time in six years. A smile on his lips when she said: "Okay."

Inside the cab, she let herself be held in his arms as her house and everything that built her was now left behind. She raised her head to find his eyes staring at her, he left a kiss on her forehead and another gentle one on her lips — it wasn't the first time they kissed, but it felt like so as the butterflies danced around her stomach.