slide - part 1

song: slide by James bay

in disguise, we get a little better at controlling ourselves around midnight... then we slide into the arms of someone else

Her day was the worst so far, she had so many things to do and yet nothing at the same time. And when he got home, they had so many things to talk about with each other and yet nothing at the same time — and for her, feeling lonely when not alone was the worst kind of loneliness.

And it has been like this for a few months, he would go and live his life outside their house walls and she stayed in, hoping that when the night came they would connect and somehow she wouldn't be alone anymore. But that never happened, and night after night she was getting more and more isolated inside herself.

He didn't want to be there anymore, their home was just a house for both of them now and the world outside was making him happier. He didn't want to be with her anymore but he would never say it, not now at least because he was still a good person — she looked at the clock on her bedside table, three am and she couldn't sleep.

She sneaked out of the bedroom, walking in silence downstairs to the backyard, carrying two things in her hands. It was cold, so she tugged herself in a blanket that was over the outside couch that she sat on it.

With shake hands, she dialed the number she had engraved on her mind and pressed the phone against her year. Hoping she would be answered, but fearing it too because she shouldn't be doing this.

They couldn't be with each other so they needed to drift apart to keep living their lives without thinking about all of the things they could have been in the universe that had worked in their favor. She knew she wasn't supposed to be calling, they've made a deal and she knew she was breaking it by trying to reach out.

After the fifth ring, she was almost ending the call, but then he answered — rumbling sound in the background as from someone that was in a place filled with people, then the noise of a door being opened and closed, then silent and his breathing.

"Kayc?" He finally spoke, the raspy voice of someone tired.

"Hi." Both of them could feel the relief in her voice because he answered and gosh, she really missed his voice.

A sigh lefts his lips. "Hi."

He was inside some random and empty room of the dance studio, sitting on the floor with his back against the door. He rested his head against the wooden thing as he listened to her breathing for a few seconds.

"I know I shouldn't be calling..." she said, hoping he would interrupt but he didn't, because she really shouldn't. "It's just that..."

She sighed, and he asked: "Bad day?"

"Yes." She answered. "... and I needed to hear from you."

He exhaled at the words, it warmed and also sank his heart the thought that she still needed him. "You shouldn't be calling, we shouldn't be talking. it makes harder... but I'm glad that you did."

To hear him saying such a thing filled her eyes with silent tears, and suddenly she was wishing to be able to touch through the phone.

"I was going through some old files on my computer, found some footage from the trip to Hawaii for your sixteen." He said. "... made me think of you all day."