(14) サマーキャンプ1日目 Samākyanpu 1-nichi-me

"Bakugou! Behind you!" The sharpened blade plunged into the monster's mud skull. Its cold earth splattered up into their face, warning a victorious smile.

They yanked the feather out, earning a defeating whine. Its body melted into a puddle. Stretching the wings out, they hovered above the rest of the class. Midoriya bounced around from monster to monster, quickly taking out each one. Bakugou blew up each one he came across, others taking them out in their ways. 

From their vantage point, the point wasn't too far from where the class was in the forest. It would take a while from how many monsters were forming in the surrounding areas. They took a nosedive back into the chaos, driving a forefront feather into its back. A rush of wind brushed against their skin. A rush of adrenaline surged through their system as they launched a feather at one attacking Jiro. It collapsed, and she turned around with a thankful smile. 

The hours dragged on until the class stumbled through the forest's edge. Some were limping, some were merely exhausted, and others had some quirk overuse. (y/n)'s wings dragged on the ground, rattling against each other before they pressed against their back and vanished into the tattoos.

"Well done, guys! Sure took longer than I thought." Mandalay laughed, "well, I guess we timed it on how long it would take us, sorry!"

Pixi-bob glanced over the entire class. "You did exceptionally well...." Her lascivious grin set them on edge. "Especially the four of you!" They hesitantly took a step back before she pounced on the four.

"I claim these kittens!" She pounced, pouring massive amounts of attention onto them. She suddenly stopped and grabbed Midoriya by the mouth. Her tone dropped to deadly. "Watch what you say next."

Midoriya pointed to a small child standing just behind Aizawa from behind Pixi-bob's paw. He wore a red hat with two spikes, almost hiding the short black hair. A small smile unknowingly plastered on their face.

Mandalay made eye contact with (y/n) and made her smile. Then, she pushed the small boy out into the open. His expression remained unchanged, even annoyed to be surrounded by so many unknowns. 

"This is Kota; he's staying with us for a while; Kota says hi to everyone."

Kota waved seemingly only towards (y/n), his expression remaining blank. Their heart ached in at his expression. It was cold and apathetic. Something they knew well from him. After all, then his smile was genuine. Happy and loving. What happened to him would impact anyone.

He was your second cousin, but better not bring up all that unwanted attention here. So, they went along with whatever the adults did and had asked them to do. Since they were pulling a pity-play on the class, the adults had cooked the meal for the first night. After that, the rest of the class was expected to prepare dinner for the remainder of the time.

Kota, on the other hand, was busy causing trouble again. Midoriya started up a well-meaning conversation on how to eat but got punched in the dick. Yet, they didn't want to scold him. He saw the world differently than he did the last time they'd seen him.

So, they thought it best to follow when he was sneaking off alone out of the building. He trekked part of the way up an incline where a large cave rested.

They found him curled up on the cliff's edge, crying in his arms. Quietly, they sat by him, wrapping a wing around his more petite frame. Kota glanced up through blurred tears and immediately turned away. A breeze rushed through the trees and against his bare arms. He curled even more into himself, trying to keep warm.

"Why...?" He sniffled. (y/n) propped their head on a knee. They sighed, wondering if saying anything would turn him against them. Maybe it would be best.

"I think you know the answer, Squirt." They pulled the crying boy into their lap, holding him close to their chest. His smaller arms wrapped around their more oversized frame. The wings wrapped around them, hopefully letting him know it was okay to be vulnerable within their protection.

"Hey Squirt, I know you feel alone. Like nobody these days is what you see them be."

Kota muffled a 'so what?' into their jacket. They rocked back and forth, soothingly rubbing his back. "You know my momma and papa. And your playmate, Ivan?"

He sniffled and nodded. "Well, we're you're family, Squirt. No matter how you feel about me or the path I chose, I'll always be there for you." The wounds of a child can be scarring for life. And now, he thinks he has to face this world all alone, that everyone he once trusted is against his ways as they changed and diverted off the typical path. 

The hug grew tighter, hopefully helping to soothe those angry thoughts. Of course, it would be a process, but they wouldn't hope for him to trust everyone immediately.

"Even so... I hope you'll see, not everyone is as bad as you think they are, Squirt."

The cloudy sky above blocked most of the stars behind them. If they could help with his troubles, then they could help others. It's not a stepping stone but a way of life they needed to live.

Kota seemingly didn't want to answer, but that was alright. At the moment, he needed someone to be there for him unbiasedly. Someone who can share his trauma and, for now, (y/n) would be the one there for him. 

"Also, Ivan says hi. We missed you, Squirt!" (y/n) dug beneath his arms and tickled the boy, earning a genuine laugh. A wild smile spread across his face as he burst into several fits of giggles. "Come on! Say it Squirt!" 

"I don't wanna!" 

"I'll keep goin' till you say it!" 

Kota's little giggle fits morphed into bouts of uncontrollable laughter. It continued until he couldn't breathe and pushed on their chest to separate them. "Okay! Okay! I'll say it!"

They stopped tickling the boy and patiently waited for his little phrase. "I'll be a guardian, you just can't see my wings." They enveloped the boy in a tight hug. 

"That's my Squirt."