CHAPTER ZERO - LITTLE MONSTERS

"We are all someone's monster."

-

CHAPTER ZERO — LITTLE MONSTERS

17 years ago...

"Hey! Get them behind the counter!" A man shouted as the alarm blared, the warning sirens blasting over the screams of hostages. "Now you've put me in a position where I gotta do something I don't want to do. Hmm?"

I jumped through the roof and on to the balcony, keeping quiet as the rest of the team scattered to their positions.

"Shit!" The man hollered. I watched in amusement as Number Three skipped forward to the man innocently.

He seized her up, "Hey, get back with the others!"

"I heard a rumour," Three said.

"What? What did you say?" The man Three was speaking to lowered down to her eye level as he glowered before her.

I grinned, my hands heating up and a tingling sensation formed at my fingers.

This is going to be fun.

Three's voice echoed through the hall as she replied to the man, one hand beside her mouth as she leaned in. "I heard a rumour that you shot your friend in the foot."

The man straightened automatically, his stare blank as he raised the gun in his right hand and pointed it to his accomplice.

"Hey, dude," the guy in front of the gun said. "What the hell?"

The hypnotized man shot his friend, one bullet in his right foot and one on his left.

The man crumbled immediately, his finger pressing on the trigger as he fell, the bullets shattering the glass behind three hostages.

Screams filled the air as I threw my arm out, a burst of shadow forming into a slick weapon and engulfed the fallen man. "One down, a few more to go."

"One. Two. Three-"

Number One crashed in through the glass ceiling, landing behind the counter as glass fell from above.

Number Five sighed. "Always so dramatic."

I smirked, hearing his frustration of not being on the battlefield through the tiny communication devices in our ears.

Number One grabbed a man's neck, slamming him on the table face-first before throwing him out the window.

"Bloody hell," I muttered before conjuring a ball of energy. It was dark and thick, slivers of shadows appeared, gleaming under the sunlight and I directed the shadows over to the robber, the sharp lances hovering over in a hesitant second before ripping the man into shreds.

Dammit, I got blood on the floor.

"Guns are for sissies. Real men throw knives," Number Two ran in with his daggers in hand.

I rolled my eyes drawing spears of shadows with a wave of energy and attacking two more men.

"Deadly accuracy, Zero," Number Two retorted with a smirk before throwing two knives, I watched in awe as they flew through the air, curving into a sweet angle before embedding into an armed man.

I beamed from ear to ear, "Thanks, Two."

"Get back, you freaks!" A man shuddered in fear on top of the counter.

Number Two grinned. "Hey, be careful up there, buddy."

"Get back now!"

"Wouldn't want you to get hurt," Number Three laughed as the man pointed a gun towards the three of them down below.

"What an idiot," I sighed as the air beside him warped.

"Or what?" Number Five materialized from thin air, sitting cross-legged in front of him with his charming smile.

He jumped before shots were fired from the man's gun.

The man shot the same spot as if Five would reappear, grunting as he fired.

Five quickly jumped to the other side of the man.

The gun clicked as the man pulled the trigger.

Five smirked. "Ooh! That's one badass stapler!"

The man squeezed the stapler in his hand in confusion, just as Five grabbed his hand and slammed him in the head.

"Boom boom, you're dead," I chimed as tendrils of shadows emerge from my hands and enveloped the man.

I pulled the crackling ball of shadow back and sighed tiredly before going through the floor, landing beside the six of them.

"I still don't get how you do it." Five muttered to me.

"I pass atoms between the spaces of other particles in the surface I'm going through," I explained for the millionth time.

Number Six shifted on his feet as we stood in front of the door to the vault.

"Come on, Six. There are more guys in the vault," One said.

The boy sighed as he walked and opened the door. "I didn't sign up for this."

I smiled as nicely as possible as I opened the main doors for the hostages.

They ran out screaming and shooting fearful glances at us.

I flipped my short hair back as I walked back to the group.

We watched as the beast inside screeched, tearing the men apart inside the room.

Their screams were useless as tendrils of tentacles waved inside with them.

A minute later, Six walked out covered head to toe with blood and an unreadable expression on his face. He breathed shakily. "Can we go home now?"

-

-

We jogged out the building.

"Lower your weapon!" A policeman hollered with his gun pointed at Two.

He sighed as he placed his daggers back in their sheaths.

I adjusted my mask, moving to stand in formation beside One as he waved at the crowd.

Father quickly joined us in front of the bank, his smile widening as he spotted the vast amount of cameras and police cars.

He spoke. "Our world is changing-"

Camera shutters clicked as flashes of white gleamed underneath the afternoon sun.

"-Has changed." Father continued. "There are some among us, gifted with abilities far beyond the ordinary. I have adopted seven such children.

Father's smile broadened into a smirk. "I give you the inaugural class of the Umbrella Academy."

"Mr Hargreeves! Mr Hargreeves! Channel 9 News. What happened to their parents?"

He barely glanced at the reporter as he replied, "they were suitably compensated."

"Are you concerned about the welfare of the children?" Another lady asked.

Father chuckled.

"Of course! As I am for the fate of the world."

I could still hear his voice when I closed my eyes to sleep at night.

As I am for the fate of the world.