CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX - ALL ON MY OWN

"Into the unknown."

-

CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX — ALL ON MY OWN

I looked at him nervously, "Yeah. Can we do this over a martini?"

"So," Five said, sliding the glass over the bar and looking at me expectantly.

"Um," I twirled the olive around with the stick. "Do you wanna, you know, go first?"

"So what's the deal with Haneul?" He crossed his arms.

"Nothing, it was nothing, it was years ago anyway," I replied, staring down at the drink.

"It doesn't seem like nothing to him," Five scoffed.

"He was a bit clingy," I admitted. 

"I know, but what were you doing with him now?" He asked, bracing his arms on the bar.

"I-I left Dad's things at Haneul's, and when Luther said that they found tapes, it wouldn't be long before they found out that Haneul and I were linked, and then Luther will want to murder me," I pinched the bridge of my nose. "And him as well."

"Do you still-" He hesitated.

I looked up at him.

Five glanced away, "Do you still love him?"

"No, not like that, it was just something like a summer romance," I reassured him. "He's-he's just a friend."

He beamed, "So I'm still your number one?"

I choked on my drink. "What the fuck?"

His face turned a beet red. "That came out wrong."

I laughed, grabbing his hand and giving it a squeeze. "I get what you mean, and yes, you'll always be my number one, if you don't count Ben."

"Hey!" Five pouted. "Are you putting Ben above me?"

"Maybe," I replied in a sing-song voice.

He chuckled, "I know, I miss him too, now are you going to give me my ring back?"

I smiled, fishing the golden band from my pocket and passing it to him.

"Now I feel like me again," my husband beamed, the ring on his finger gleaming under the sunlight.

I would murder people just to see him smile like that.

-

-

Diego marched into the living room. "The bastard that nearly killed our sister's still out there, with Vanya. We need to go after her."

"Vanya is not important," Five said.

"Hey, that's your sister. A little heartless even for you, Five," Diego glanced at him.

Five almost sighed. "I'm not saying I don't care about her, but if the apocalypse happens she dies along with the other seven billion of us," he replied sternly.

Diego paused, staring at the ground.

"Harold Jenkins is our first priority," Five said firmly.

Diego nodded, "I agree, let's go."

I stood up from the sofa to follow them when Klaus perked up.

"You guys count me out," he crossed his legs, rubbing his chin.

The three of us turned to look at him.

Klaus stuttered, "I mean, you know, no offence or whatever. It's just-I kinda fell like this is a whole lot of pressure for newly-sober me, so."

"You're coming," I said, putting my hands on my hips.

"No, no, no," Klaus waved his hands around, uncrossing his legs and bracing them on the sofa. "I think we can all agree that my power's, I mean it's pretty much useless. I'd just be holding you guys back."

"You're not useless!" I exclaimed. 

"Klaus, get up." Five didn't even blink.

"You can't make me," our brother scowled.

Diego didn't miss a beat. He grabbed a knife and threw it right between Klaus' thighs.

He jumped, raising his hands up in defeat and sighed, "Oh, then again, a little exercise couldn't hurt."

Klaus dragged himself up from the seating. I sighed, following closely after him.