CHAPTER FIVE - HIGH FLYING

"This is a bad town for such a pretty face."

-

CHAPTER FIVE — HIGH FLYING

Griddy's Doughnuts was almost empty as it neared midnight.

"Five?"

"Yes, Zero?"

"Do you plan on telling them about, you know," I asked, glancing at our rings.

"I don't know, they should know, I just don't know when to tell them," he murmured. "How do you tell your other adoptive siblings that you married one of your adoptive sisters?"

"I don't know, how?" I replied, smiling in amusement.

Five glanced at me and opened his mouth.

"Go ahead and sass, sweetheart," I smiled. I was shaking with silent laughter as he glared at me.

The corners of his lips jerked up as they broadened into a grin. And his body shook alongside mine as we burst into laughter.

"You win," he wheezed as a man sat down beside us.

Five rang the bell again impatiently and sighed.

The older man grunted as he pulled out a pen and started scribbling on the newspaper.

Five sighed as the waitress finally emerged from the backroom.

"Sorry, sink was clogged," she chuckled, pulling out her notepad. "So, what will it be?"

"Um, give a chocolate eclair," the man replied.

"Hmm, sure," the waitress mumbled. "Can I get the kids a glass of milk or something?"

Five scoffed. "The kids want coffee. Black."

"And a chocolate doughnut," I added, peering at the glass display behind her.

"Cute kids," the waitress chuckled to the man.

The man simply stared at her.

The waitress turned over to us. Five smiled, flashing his two rows of white teeth at the lady.

"Okay," the waitress muttered nervously.

"Do I look like a kid? This is 16," I scoffed, gesturing at myself.

Five shrugged before turning to the man. "Don't remember this place being such a shithole. I used to come here as a kid. Used to sneak out with my brothers and sisters and eat doughnuts till we puked. Simpler times, huh?"

"Those were good times," I smiled.

The man replied with a startled voice. "Eh. I suppose."

I watched at the waitress placed the plates in front of us before pouring our coffee into cups. "There you go."

The man grabbed some bills and handed it to the waitress. "I got theirs."

Five looked over to him. "Thanks."

He then peered over to look at the man's jacket.  "You must know your way around the city. "

"I hope so. I've been driving it for 20 years.," the man replied.

"Good, we need an address, " I said.

I sipped my coffee as the man scribbled down the address on a napkin, sliding it over to us. "Here."

"Thank you," I smiled as Five picked it up and shoved it in his pocket.

The man rose to leave. "Have a good night."