CHAPTER FOUR - CHA CHA SLIDE

"I think she's caught between who she is and who she wants to be."

-

CHAPTER FOUR — CHA CHA SLIDE

I stood between Klaus and Five as we gathered around in a circle in the backyard.

Luther was holding Dad's urn as Mom said, "Did something happen?"

We all looked over in disbelief.

Allison was the one who said something. "Dad died. Remember?"

"Oh. Yes, of course," Mom replied, smiling.

"Is Mom okay?" Allison asked, looking around our group.

"Yeah, yeah. She's fine," Diego replied with a smile. "She just needs to rest. You know, recharge."

Klaus lit a cigarette under his plastic transparent and pink umbrella.

I looked over to him, scrunching up my face in disgust. "Dad doesn't like smoking in the house."

Klaus shrugged. "He's dead, Ze. Poof, gone!"

Pogo stepped forward, limping against his walking stick. "Whenever you're ready, dear boy," he said to Luther.

Luther slowly opened the urn, his face grim with thought as he poured Dad's ashes out.

They floated down and landed in a pile, amongst the dirty leaves and acid rainwater.

Klaus winced, looking worriedly at the pile of ashes.

We all looked around awkwardly as Dad's ashes sat there. "Probably would have been better with some wind," Luther broke the uncomfortable silence.

"Does anyone wish to speak?" Pogo asked.

I looked away, waving my fingers slightly as I played with the leaves' shadows.

Klaus inhaled from his cigarette.

Five glanced right.

Allison closed her eyes.

Diego shifted on his feet.

Luther simply stayed silent with Vanya.

"Very well," Pogo said.

"In all regards, Sir Reginald Hargreeves made me what I am today. For that alone, I shall forever be in his debt. He was my master," he said and after a small pause, he added, "and my friend and I shall miss him very much."

Luther sniffed as Pogo continued, "he leaves behind a complicated legacy-"

"-he was a monster," Diego blurted out.

Klaus let out a breathy laugh.

Deigo continued on, "he was a bad person and a worse father. The world is better off without him."

"Diego," Allison warned.

"My name is Number Two," he replied. "You know why?"

Allison looked down as Diego carried on, "because our father couldn't be bothered to give us actual names. He had Mom do it."

"Would anyone like something to eat?" Mom asked, smiling.

"No, it's okay, Mom," Vanya replied for all of us.

"Oh, okay," Mom said gently.

Diego stepped forward. "Look, you wanna pay your respects? Go ahead. But at least be honest about the kind of man he was," he looked pointedly at Luther.

"You should stop talking now," Luther warned, his large hands clenched in fists.

"You know, you of all people should be on my side here, Number One," Diego mocked.

"I'm warning you," Luther gritted his teeth.

I looked over at Vanya as Five and Klaus exchanged glances.

"After everything, he did to you? He had to ship you a million miles away!"

"Diego, stop talking!" Luther scowled.

"That's how much he couldn't stand the sight of you!" Diego sot back to him as he poked Luther's chest.

Our sibling grabbed Diego's arm, pushing him as he swung his big fists at him.

Diego nimbly dodged the reckless punches as he swerved back from Luther.

Allison pursed her lips as she back away with an annoyed expression on her face.

I sighed as Five pulled me back from the two.

Vanya gently led Mom back as she continued smiling at the intense scene.

"Boys, stop this at once!" Pogo shouted.

Klaus placed a hand in front of Five and I as he pushed us further away. Five frowned and pushed his arm away as I flicked off the rain from my shoulder casually.

"Come on, big boy," Diego taunted, waving a hand at Luther.

They grunted as they crashed against one another, throwing reckless punches and uncoordinated movements.

"Stop it!" Vanya shouted.

"Hit him! Hit him!" Klaus cheered.

I looked up at him. "Who exactly are you cheering for?"

Klaus simply shrugged back before returning to cheering.

Pogo sighed and scoffed, turning back and heading into the mansion.

Luther grabbed Diego's collar as they fought.

"Get off me!" Diego shouted, punching Luther's arm.

Diego stumbled in front of Ben's statue as they panted.

"We don't have time for this," Five stated as he gestured to me.

"Don't break anything, boys!" I yelled, following Five inside.

We were almost in the house when there was a loud crash.

I whipped my head around immediately.

"Ben."

And there, lying on the ground with his head split from his body was Ben's statue.

"Com'on," Five tilted his head into the house.

I nodded, swallowing back profanities for Luther and Diego, and followed him inside.