CHAPTER SEVEN - TROUBLE IS MY MIDDLE NAME

"Better terrible truths than kind lies."

-

CHAPTER SEVEN — TROUBLE IS MY MIDDLE NAME

Allison knocked on the door. "Hey, can we talk?"

"What is there to talk about?" I said, looking around Ben's room.

"Maybe like how you got the ring on your wedding finger?" Allison asked.

I jumped, "Can we not?"

"You know, I can just do my 'rumour' thing," Allison wiggled her eyebrows as she smiled.

"Well, I guess it's sooner or later," I mumbled. "Not like there will be a later."

"So? I'm waiting," Allison sang, her arms crossed as she leant against the doorway.

"I think you'd want to sit down for this," I looked up at her.

-

-

YEAR 2043

I stepped through the portal, feeling the whooshing wind on my face and emerging to an ancient mansion just outside the city limits.

"Zero!" A person flung their arms around me as I flinched at the sudden gesture.

"Five," I breathed, relaxing before burying my head into his chest. My words were muffled when I muttered, "I missed you."

"I missed you too." He was taller than I remembered, older and stronger. His eyes were glistening under the strong sunlight and his clothes were covered in a faint layer of dust.

"How long was it?" I asked, pulling back from him.

"Nine years," Five replied, avoiding my eyes.

I inhaled sharply, "what?"

"I-I'm sorry," he stuttered.

I pulled him into a hug, "Don't be."

"I almost couldn't-"

"I'm here now, that's all that matters, right?" I smiled up at him as he buried his face into my hair.

"I couldn't live without you," he murmured. "I'd rather die."

"What are you-"

He pulled back and looked me straight in the eye, his eyes softening as he said the words I'll never forget in my lifetime, "Zero Hargreeves, you're my best friend, the only one that stuck with me, literally, and I can't live without you. My love for you formed gradually, your personality, your voice, your hair, your eyes, your humour, the way you looked away and smiled, gradually it all came clear to me you were exactly what I was looking for, but I had sent you away and I lived without you for nine years, so today, I ask you, will you marry me?"

"Why did you think I bought these?" I fished out two golden bands from my pocket. "I couldn't live without you too, even if it was a year."

"Oh, Zero-"

"It was either you or me that's gonna make the move, and I figured you won't have a ring-oh!"

Five smirked as he held up a makeshift ring. "Go on, I'm listening."

I slapped his chest playfully. "Yes, Mister Hargreeves, I'll marry you, but I'm not changing my last name."

"What was it, Zero Hargreeves-Hargreeves?" He teased as he slid the ring onto my finger.

"I'll kill you," I grinned as he opened the door.

"Not if I kill you first," he replied, inviting me into the mansion.

"Is that a challenge, my love?" I shot back.

"I'll even give you a ten-second headstart, wait till I get my hands on you," Five's smirk widened as he leant against a pillar.

"I won't mind you having your hands on me," I sang back as I dashed up the stairs.

-

-

Allison looked at me, wiggling her eyebrows. "And?"

"And what? I've told you everything," I leant back, already knowing what she's going to ask.

Yes, Allison, we did exactly what you were thinking.

"No, you haven't! Did you guys-"

"Five? Have you guys seen Five?" Vanya asked, knocking on the door.

"Check his room," I replied, standing up with Allison.

"This conversation isn't over," Allison smiled.

"Oh, it is very much over," I replied.

Allison left my room with a glint in her eye, and soon, I was alone.

I waited till Vanya left Five's room before walking through the wall between the rooms.

I nearly screamed as the door to Five's closet creaked open and Klaus poked his head out.

"That's so, touching!" He squealed as he knocked over some things on the floor.

"All that stuff about family and Dad and time, oh, hello Zero, you look devastating," Klaus staggered around the room.

I frowned. "Do I?"

"Would you shut up! She'll hear you," Five hissed.

"I'm moist!" Klaus whined.

I looked up and down at him. "That outfit though-"

"I thought I told you to put on something professional!" Five gestured at the thing Klaus was wearing.

"What? This is my nicest outfit," Klaus' eyebrows knitted together.

Five sighed, rolling his eyes, "I'll raid the old man's closet."

"Whatever, as long as I get paid," Klaus groaned.

"When the job is done," Five scowled as they walked out the room.

"If you need me, I'll be at the boxing centre," I said, grabbing my boxing gear before following them down the stairs.

"The same one where you almost got recognised by Diego from before?" Five looked up at me, furrowing his eyebrows.

"Yeah, what's wrong?" I glanced at him worriedly.

"Is your membership renewed?"

-

Updates will be coming every Saturday.

Happy International Women's Day :) And Happy Birthday to the precious Min Yoongi uwu