CHAPTER THIRTY-SIX - THE WHITE VIOLIN

"I'm not jealous. I'm territorial. Jealous is when you want something that's not yours. Territorial is protecting what's already yours."

-

CHAPTER THIRTY-SIX — THE WHITE VIOLIN

The ceiling above us rumbled, debris falling down and crashing into the velvet seats.

The column that held up the theatre cracked as violin music roared around the concert hall.

"Oh, welcome back," Luther said to Diego. "Where were you?"

"Honoring a memory," Number Two approached us. "So, how you wanna end this thing?"

Five's hand never left mine as we huddled in a circle. "We surround her. All right? We come at her from all angles," Luther shouted out directions.

"So, it's a suicide mission," Klaus spoke beside me.

"Yeah, but one of us could get through," Five replied. "It's the only chance we've got."

"Are we all in?" Luther asked.

"Yeah," I gritted my teeth, ignoring the sharp pain that jolted through my body once in a while.

The others all nodded in agreement.

"Alright," Luther nodded. "Allison?"

Allison shook her head as if she didn't understand.

"Stage left," Luther pointed at Diego, who took off to his position immediately.

He gestured at himself, "Stage right."

"You guys take the front," Luther indicated at Klaus, Five and me. 

The masonry above us cracked and groaned.

Five gave my hand a quick squeeze and we took off in different directions.

The glass smashed from around us as I dashed down the centre aisle, trying to keep as low a profile as possible.

The music swelled, the tempo increasing and I watched as Vanya's suit and violin turned a blinding shade of white.

I ducked behind the first row of seats, waiting for Luther's signal to approach Vanya.

"Now!" Number One shouted.

We launched into action, our steps pounding the carpeted floor. I jumped onto the stage, scrambling for Vanya.

There was a vivid white blast of light and we were all thrown back by the sheer force of power.

Five tendrils of light came from Vanya's body, holding the five of us suspended in the air.

It felt like the energy in my body was being drained.

"Zero!" Five strained his arm towards me.

I struggled, trying hard to stretch my arm towards him, the pain on my shoulder rippling through me to cause a pained scream. Tears brimmed around the edge of my eyes and I closed them, desperately attempting to summon my powers.

But my intangibility wasn't working and the shadows I conjure retreated from the intense glare of light that Vanya projected.

I turned my head to Five, watching as his face scrunched up and the colour drained from his face, morphing his features into a dark contour of what looks like his skull.

There was a loud gunshot.

With a whoosh, Vanya crumbled backwards and released us from her hold. I whimpered in pain as Five scrambled over towards me, easing me up.