CHAPTER TEN - DIE YOUNG

"There are all kinds of love in the world, but never the same love twice."

-

CHAPTER TEN —DIE YOUNG

"If you do that one more time, you and I are going to have a problem," I scowled as Diego flipped his knife and tossed it across the room to the target beside my head.

He smirked. "You can 'pass atoms', you'll be fine."

"Ignore him, his tiny brain won't register what you're saying," Allision scowled.

I snorted, subconsciously rubbing the tattoo on the inside of my arm.

"Guys, I've got the tapes out," Luther said, slipping the tape into the slot.

We watched the tapes in silence, staring at Dad as he fell onto the bed dramatically.

"I mean, do you really think Mom would hurt Dad?" Vanya asked, looking up at Luther.

I swallowed nervously as Five rolled his eyes.

"You haven't been home in a long time, Vanya. Maybe you don't know Grace anymore," Luther said.

"If he was poisoned, it would have shown in the coroner's report," Diego replied, crossing his arms as he looked pointedly at Luther.

I kept my mouth shut, do you even know who the coroner is?

"Well, I don't need a report to tell me what I can see with my own eyes," Luther shot back, clearly annoyed.

Diego smirked. "Maybe all that low gravity in space messed with your vision."

He stepped forward and clicked a button. "Look closer. Dad has his monocle. Mom stands up. Monocle's gone."

"Oh yeah!" Klaus chuckled in delight.

"She wasn't poisoning him, she was taking it," Diego said in a matter-of-fact way. "To clean it."

"Then where is it?" Luther asked. "No, I've searched the house, including her things. She doesn't have it."

"That's because I took it from her," Diego drawled. "After the funeral."

"You've had the monocle this whole time? What the hell, Diego?" Allison shouted.

I scowled, "Thanks, Diego, you've been a great help."

"Give it to me!" Luther demanded.

"I threw it away," Diego replied.

"You what?" Luther said, dumbfounded.

Allison scoffed.

"Look, I knew that if you found it on Mom, you'd lose your shit, just like you're doing right now," Diego pointed a knife at Luther.

"Diego, you son of a bitch," Luther snarled.

"Hey, no. Calm down," Vanya said, stepping between them. "I know Dad wasn't exactly an open book. But I do remember one thing he said, Mom was, well, designed to be a caretaker but also as a protector."

"What does that mean?" Allison shook her head in confusion, her face scrunched up.

"She was programmed to intervene if someone's life was in jeopardy," Vanya replied.

I reprogrammed her, you idiots.

"Well, if her hardware is degrading, then... We need to turn her off," Luther said.

"Woah woah woah woah woah, wait! She's not just a vacuum cleaner you can throw in a closet! She feels things, I've seen it!" Diego shouted, pointing a finger at Luther angrily.

"She just stood there, Diego, and watched our father die," Luther scowled back.

"I'm with Luther," Allision said.

I scoffed as Diego replied, "Surprise, surprise."

"Shut up," Allison rolled her eyes.

"I-I-I don't-" Vanya stammered.

"Yeah, she shouldn't get a vote," Diego scoffed dismissively.

I hissed at his tone. "Diego-"

"Wh-"

"I was going to say that I agree with you," Vanya replied, looking at Diego.

"Okay. She should get a vote," Diego forced a smile.

"What about you, stoner boy? What do you got?" Diego turned to Klaus.

"Oh, so, what? You need my help now? Oh, 'get out of the van, Klaus!' 'Well, welcome back to the van'," Klaus snapped.

"What van?" Allision asked.

Luther rolled his eyes, scoffing, "What's it gonna be, Klaus?"

"I'm with Diego because screw you!"  Klaus shouted. "And if Ben were here, he'd agree with me."

"No, he won't," I scoffed, crossing my arms as I leant back on a column.

Klaus hissed over to the empty sofa before glaring at me. I narrowed my eyes as I looked over to the sofa, spotting an abnormal shadow above it. All this time-travel stuff is messing with my head,

"So that's three?" Luther counted.

"To two," Diego smirked.

"Vote's not final yet," Allison said.

"What?" Diego scoffed.

"Five's not here, and Zero hasn't voted yet. The whole family has to vote, we owe each other that," Allision said.

"Right," Luther said.

"No, we should wait," Vanya said.

"Well, then, Number Zero, what will it be?" Luther asked as they all turned to me.

"I'm not voting until Five is here," I said, picking up my leather jacket from a chair.

Allision scoffed, smirking, "Of course, now go find lover boy."

I growled at her, "Don't make me do something I'd regret, Three."

"Wait, what? You and Five?" Diego laughed. "Did not see that coming."

"Oh, shut up, you moron," I glared at him as I ran up the stairs.