CHAPTER ELEVEN - DON'T STOP NOW

"Sure, I'm a pretty girl up in a pretty world but they say pretty hurts."

-

CHAPTER ELEVEN — DON'T STOP NOW

"Mom! Have you seen my mask?" I asked, skidding to a stop in front of her.

Mom smiled down at me. "Have you checked the shadows yet? Or between the walls?"

I dashed back into my room, opening my palms and dragging the shadows from the corner to reveal the black and white domino mask. "Found it!"

"Wonderful, darling girl," she beamed.

"Don't tell Dad," I said, running back out to the corridor.

"How will the Umbrella Academy ever become an effective crime deterrent if we can't even leave the house on time for missions?" Dad shouted near the end as Luther dashed past him.

"Behind you!"

"Come along, children! Come along!" He shouted, clapping his hands.

"I'm coming!" I shouted, running through the wall and jumping through the floor and down to the door.

"Move it! Move it!" Dad urged us again, walking down the stairs and patting me on the shoulder.

-

-

"I thought you were back at the house yesterday," I said, leaning against a pole as we waited outside a sleek blue car.

"Yeah, just wanted to make sure you were back safe and then I waited for our guy over there," he nodded towards a man holding a dog and wearing a blue beanie.

"Isn't he that idiot doctor?" I narrowed my eyes.

He sighed, "Yup, and he's hiding something."

We watched as he unlocked his car and put his dog in the backseat. "You go first," Five nodded at me. 

I walked forward and slipped through the door, settling down on the backseat with the dog. It whimpered uncomfortably before shifting away from me.

The man hopped into the front seat and Five quickly jumped in on the passenger seat.

"Oh, Jesus!" The man shouted, jolting when he spotted us.

Five grabbed his collar and placed a knife against his throat. "One chance. That's all you've got. One chance to tell me exactly what's going on in that lab."

"I-I manufacture prosthetic devices for fake patients, I bill the insurance companies and then sell them for cash on the black market," he stammered.

"Including eyeballs?" Five asked.

"Yeah, they're my biggest seller. I mean, they sell like hotcakes," he nodded desperately.

I sighed, pinching the bridge of my nose as he continued, "I-I've got a list, a waiting list, probably twenty buyers?"

"So, the serial number I told you," Five raised an eyebrow.

"Uh, could've already been bought. Yes, off-off the books," he stuttered nervously, his eyes darting to the knife near his throat.

Five sighed, baring his teeth at him threateningly. "I needed that list, Lance. Names and numbers and I need it now!"

"I don't have it. I mean, not on me," he replied. "The only copy's in me safe back at the lab."

"Well, you start the car then, 'cause we're going for a field trip!" I grinned, the dog still huddled up far away from me when Lance started the engine and we sped down the road.

-

-

Five dragged Lance down the street hurriedly as I followed close behind.

I looked at the building as we draw near MeriTech. "Is that smoke?"

"Shit!" Five said, releasing the older man's sleeve and running toward the flaming building.

I flinched as glass shattered above us, skidding to a stop when Five and I reached the office.

I scowled. "Oh for fuck's-"

The building exploded, the flames licking our clothes as we were blown backwards. I could feel Five grab my arm as I pulled him into me, wrapping my arms around him as I instinctively gather shadows to protect us.

We hit the ground hard, slamming on the concrete when we fell.

Five sat up, grunting as he surveyed the scene before looking at me. "Are you okay?" He scrambled up, his hands cupping my cheeks as he looked me over.

I nodded, swallowing quickly. "I'm fine, I-"

He crashed me into a hug, my face buried into the crook of his neck as he muttered, "Thank God."

We sat there in complete silence as pieces of cement and debris fell from above. I drew the shadows away as I melted into his hug.

Five smiled before pulling back. "What do you want to do?"

I laughed weakly. "Now, I have an idea which involves alcohol, getting drunk, and possible making out-"

"I'm in," Five chuckled, helping me up.

"I'll get the drinks, you find a nice spot," I smoothed down my clothes, brushing the dust off before turning back to Lance.

"Um, I guess you can leave now," I shrugged, waving at the man.

He didn't hesitate to turn around and run, his car beeping in the distance as he fiddled with his keys.

Five turned to look at me as Lance disappeared from our sight.  "So, beer or something better?"