CHAPTER THIRTY-FIVE - MAY DEATH NEVER STOP YOU

"Going to rock bottom, do you guys need anything?"

-

CHAPTER THIRTY-FIVE — MAY DEATH NEVER STOP YOU

The orchestra has already started playing inside when we arrived at the Icarus Theatre, battered, tired, and ready to crawl into a hole and cry.

I surveyed the venue, searching for the familiar Umbrella Academy uniform as we dashed up the stairs. 

Allison held up a hand, running in front of Luther and stopping him mid-stride. She held up her notepad, "I need to go alone" was written in bold letters.

"Allison, I can't let you do that, all right?" Luther protested. "She's beyond reasoning."

"You hear the music?" Diego pointed towards the concert hall. "It's started."

"Do you honestly think she's gonna listen?" Luther reasoned with Allison. "After everything that's happened?"

Allison never broke the stern eye contact with him.

"We don't have time for this," Klaus fidgeted beside me.

Luther heaved a heavy sigh, nodding and saying, "Okay."

Allison gave him one last look before dashing past the four of us and into the concert hall alone. We all watched as she made her way through the heavy doors, disappearing into the theatre.

"You're using her as a distraction, aren't you?" Diego probed.

Luther didn't hesitate to nod, "It will be our best chance to incapacitate Vanya."

"Oh," Klaus voiced.

"She'll thank us later" Luther's lips were set in a grim line.

"So, what's the plan?" Klaus asked as we headed up the stairs.

Luther waved him back, "Uh, you wait out front."

"What?" Klaus and I said at the same time.

Luther shot me a dismissive glance before turning back to Klaus, "Yeah, you're the lookout."

Klaus was slack-mouthed. "The lookout?" He repeated.

"Zero," Luther cocked his head. "You can, uh, you can be back-up."

I looked at him like he grew a second head, pointing at myself, "Me? Back-up?"

Number One nodded, "Yes, back-up."

"Are you fucking with me?" I threw my hands up exasperated.

Luther didn't spare another glimpse, already heading inside.

Klaus and I glanced at each other before heading to our respective positions, him heading out front and I headed up to tail Allison from behind.

Vanya had begun playing her solo part when I walked in. She smiled when she spotted Allison standing in the aisle. 

The music started speeding up as Diego and Luther bounded across the stage. They were inches away when Vanya suddenly stood up, waving her violin bow and causing a surge of bright white light that blasted across the concert hall, throwing Luther and Diego back.

Screams ensued as the music stopped abruptly. The audience stood up in unison, screeching and gasping as they trampled down the aisles to escape.

I run down the opposite direction of the flow, grabbing Allison's arm just as Vanya turned to her orchestra and waved her bow again, blasting the musicians back to continue playing the song.