CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE - FAMILY TIME

"But ain't nothing little about this."

-

CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE — FAMILY TIME

Diego turned the key and the engine of the car stuttered to a stop. "I know this Jenkins dude has to have a record. We just gotta get our hands on this file."

Allison scoffed. "And your plan is to what? Waltz in there and just ask for it?"

"I know the station like the back of my hand, sis. I've spent a lot of time inside."

"Handcuffed, and jailed," I rolled my eyes.

"Whatever. Here's the plan."

"Plan? I'm just gonna blink in and get the file," Five scrunched up his face.

"No, that's not- you don't know the ins and outs of this place, okay?" Diego glared at Five.

"We literally just did this yesterday," Five sighed.

"What?" Diego asked in confusion.

"Our yesterday, not your yesterday," I lightly punched Five's upper bicep in one move.

He winced, rubbing his arm. "It'll take me two seconds. Why don't I just go?"

"Listen to me. You are not going in there. I made a call," Diego looked at his side mirror. "That's what a leader does. He leads."

"Shut the fuck up, Diego. I'm coming with you," I walked through the car door and dragged myself into the shadows, slipping into Diego's shadow as he stepped onto the sidewalk.

-

-

A man approached the alley where we waited.

"Beeman," Diego said.

"Jesus Christ," he jumped a mile high.

Diego stepped out of the doorway as I lingered in the shadows behind him.

"You shouldn't be here," Beeman commented.

"I need to look at a file," my brother replied bluntly. "Guy named Harold Jenkins."

"No, you need to leave town. I shouldn't be telling you this, but they're looking at you for her murder," Beeman crossed his arms.

Murder?

"You can't be serious," Diego looked sideways.

"Your prints were all over the crime scene. You two had a lot of heated arguments over the years. It doesn't look good, that's all I'm saying."

"Unbelievable," Diego muttered.

"The only reason I'm telling you this is 'cause I know you and her used to be close. Personally, I think you're a real pain in the ass."

I couldn't help the chuckle that escaped my lips.

Diego cast Beeman a levelled glance.

"-I also know you'd never do anything like that."

He handed Diego something and continued, "Just do me a favour and just stay out of sight, until I have more to go on."

"I will. I just-" he sighed. "I can't leave without that file."

"You understand I could lose my job, right?" Beeman scoffed.

"That file, it won't- bring Patch back, but it could save some lives. I can't explain to you how I- I just need you to trust me," Diego looked at him in the eye.