CHAPTER FIFTEEN - SOBER FUN

"If I told you I'm trying to save the world, would you believe me?"

-

CHAPTER FIFTEEN — SOBER FUN

"Just go away, please."

I crossed my arms and sighed at Klaus as Diego replied, "Not until you talk to us."

"Was that a threat? You threatening me?" Klaus sighed.

A man walked up towards us. "Hey, guys. This bar? It's for vets only."

"I am a vet," Klaus replied.

"Really?" The man chuckled. "Where'd you serve?"

"None of your business!"

The man inched closer to us as I stood taller and faced him, my arms crossed in front of my chest as he stared us down. "You got balls coming in here, pretending you're one of us," he scowled.

"Oh, I have every right to be here, just like you," Klaus breathed angrily. "Asshole."

Diego held up his hands against the man as he stepped forward. "Whoa. Whoa. Whoa. Whoa. Whoa. Slow down, marine."

"Our brother's just had a few too many. Let's just call it a day, all go out own way," Diego continued.

"Sure thing."

I smiled as nicely as possible, flashing my pearly whites at him. "Thank you."

Diego turned to Klaus. "Klaus-"

"-As long as you apologize," the man smirked.

Klaus giggled.

Diego exhaled as he stepped up to the marine again. "Fine. I'm sorry. He's sorry. She's sorry. We're all sorry. So, are we good?"

"I wanna hear him say it," the man looked at Klaus.

"Hey, man. I'm just trying to-"

"No, no," Klaus interjected. "He's right, Diego. He's right. He's right."

"I'd like to apologize," Klaus spat at the man. "That you are depriving some village of their idiot!"

The man practically fumed as he jerked his arm back and punched his fist out at Klaus, who dodged the attack swiftly and headbutted him back.

Diego and I moved forward quickly. He grabbed the throat of an approaching guy and kneed him once in the chest and once in the groin before punching someone else.

Klaus yelled as he pounced on someone's back.

I grabbed a pool stick and slammed it right into someone's stomach before swinging it to the side and slamming the end of the stick to the side of their head, knocking them out.

Someone grabbed me from behind into a chokehold and I reached behind me, releasing a swarm of shadows from my fingertips, latched them onto their shirt, and flipped, slamming the person on the ground with a sharp crack.

The person groaned as they clutched themselves and I grabbed the stick from the ground and knocked him unconscious.

-

-

"That was fun! Did I mention how much I miss our little trio?" I grinned widely.

Klaus chuckled. "Like a million times since we left that bar."

"You got a big mouth, you know that?" Diego turned to address Klaus.

"Oh, what a truly shocking revelation, Diego," Klaus laughed, grabbing a wrap of drugs from his pocket.

"Everything's a big joke to you, right? Would you stop it!" Diego yanked the wrapper from Klaus. "Why are you putting this shit in your body?"

Klaus blew a raspberry at Diego as I chuckled in the backseat.

Diego pulled his shirt up. "Check this out, my body is a temple," he slapped his abs proudly. "All that shit you do, it's just weakness."

Klaus stared back at him blankly, pulling out another wrap of drugs. "Oh, wow, beautiful. Well, weakness feels so good."

I slapped the back of his head as Diego grabbed the drugs from him again. "What's going on with you? Huh?" I asked.

"Don't hit me, asshole!"

"You asked for it!" I shot back.

"Don't tell me everything is all right, because we saw you in there," Diego jabbed a finger at him. "You were crying like a baby!"

Klaus sighed. "Because I lost someone!"

Diego drew his hand back as Klaus continued. "I lost someone. The only-" He sighed. "The only person I've ever loved more than myself."

"Oh, Klaus," I murmured.

Klaus lifted up the drugs again. "Cheers."

Diego looked out the window. "Well, you're luckier than most. When you lose someone, at least you can-see them whenever you want."

I looked out the back window, suddenly feeling like an intruder in this brotherly moment.

"What the hell?" I gaped, watching as Hazel and the old lady who work at Griddy's Doughnuts hug each other.

"That's our man," Diego looked at Hazel.

"Hey, I know that guy!" Klaus exclaimed.

I stared at him. "How could you possibly know that-"

"He and a really angry lady tortured me. I barely got out with my life," Klaus stuttered.

"Shit, Klaus, the lady should be Cha-Cha," I muttered.

We all watched as Hazel drove away from the doughnut shop in his blue car.

Diego gunned the engine. "We gotta get this guy."

"Wait till you met the angry lady," Klaus shivered.

"Don't worry, this time you have me with you," I replied determinedly. "Those assholes are going down for messing with my brother."