CHAPTER TWO - BREAKTHROUGH

"When everyone knows you're a monster, you needn't waste time doing every monstrous thing."

-

CHAPTER TWO — BREAKTHROUGH

I watched as the Handler flipped through my agent file.

"Tell me about the plane crash accident with Buddy Holly, February 3rd 1959," she smirked, pointing to the picture of a guy in glasses.

"That one was easy, Buddy was tired of travelling by bus, as he had complained during one of his concerts. The aircraft pilot, a twenty-one-year-old guy named Roger Peterson, was at the bar the night before, so, by simply slipping something in his drink and having him bring me to the airport drunkenly, I altered the machinery and boom. Death," I replied, sipping the cup of coffee she gave me.

"Wonderful job,Miss Zero, I look forward to your next mission's success," the Handler beamed as she handed me another file.

One might question why I get to meet face-to-face with the Handler for missions, but being one out of the best two agents, there are perks.

"You'll be teaming up with Mister Five for this one, for JF Kennedy," she stated, inhaling from her signature smoking pipe.

I flipped open the file, trying to ignore the burning sensation of the golden ring on my wedding finger. "Of course, we'll do our best."

-

-

I couldn't help but grin when I met up with Five at a small diner in Dallas on 22 November 1963.

"Sweet Lord, finally," he beamed as he wrapped his arms around me in a hug, kissing the top of my head.

"I missed you, old man," I murmured into his chest, sniffing back tears of joy.

"So? It's been 58 years for me, how long was it for you, princess?" He smiled as he waved over the waitress.

"49 years, give or take. But 58 years old? Geez, we don't look like we used to," I grinned at him.

"49 years old ain't bad," he chuckled, downing his cup of coffee.

I laughed. "You aren't out of my range, you know."

"I know," he smiled. "And I've got good news."

I looked up from my doughnut. "Did you figure it out?"

"Yes, I think we can do it today."

"Good, time to go home."

His eyes twinkled under the lights. "Back to the academy."

...Dallas Love Field, the Dallas-Fort Worth area broadcasters bring you a special description of the arrival of President John F. Kennedy. And the crowd yells, and the president of the United States...

I looked over at the focused man beside me, his frame hunkered over a small leather journal. I looked back through the telescopic sight of my rifle as the radio skipped to another broadcaster.

...to get another view of the president as he and his First Lady depart Love Field. The presidential car moving out. The president and First Lady, head out for downtown Dallas, where thousands should already be on the street right now...

"Hurry up, Five!" I hissed as cars passed before the hidden fence.

The crowd was clamouring when Five let out a small gasp. "I've got it!"

...Dallas police out here in force today, doing a beautiful job handling the crowd along with a contingent of Texas Rangers.

"Hold on to me!" He said as he tucked the journal into his pocket and placed his clenched fists in front of him.

I quickly placed the rifle against the fence as a fire extinguisher came flying through the crackling blue portal. "What the hell?"

The radio became inaudible as the whoosh of the portal affected our area. "Five? What is going on?"

"Get in!"

"What?"

"Get the hell in, Zero!"

We pushed into the portal, struggling to travel through time.

I looked through the portal to see two ladies and three men standing in front of the portal.

And then we were pulled into the blue space. The wind was coming from nowhere and we fell.

There was a loud blast and we were falling from the sky, plummeting to the ground.

"Princess? You okay?" A voice asked.

I stood up, smoothing down the black oversized suit on me. "Yeah, love, yeah. What about you-shit!"

The boy looked at me in confusion.

I gaped at him. "You look different."

"What?" He asked.

"Um, you are tinier?" I squeaked a reply before twisting to look at myself.

"Does anyone else see little Number Five and cutesy Number Zero, or is that just me?" One of the men in front of us asked.

We turned to the small group, their eyes widened and their jaws dropped.

Five looked down at himself and looked at me before turning to the others.

"Shit."