CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO - STUBBORN

"It's you and me, there's nothing like this. Miss Americana and the Heartbreak Prince."

-

CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO — STUBBORN

I burst out the front door, swinging the gates open and half-sprinting down the street, going to the one place I knew I would regret going but the place where I knew Five wouldn't know to look.

I sniffled, darting through an alley and emerging to his neighbourhood, keeping my head low, and eyes on the ground as I turned to his house.

"Haneul?" I rang his doorbell.

Stomping footsteps came from inside the building. "No, I do not want any girl scout cookies- Zero?" He had slammed his door open but I watched as his expression softened when he saw me.

"I just need to get some of Dad's stuff," I rubbed my forehead, pinching the bridge of my nose as I exhaled, pushing back tears that threatened to spill.

"Yeah, sure," he breathed, opening the door to let me in.

I slipped past him, going into the living room and taking the box from his shelf and taking the key from his hands.

"Are you okay?" He asked, standing behind me as I unlocked the chest.

"Yeah, yeah, I-I'm okay," I managed to say, grabbing the rest of Dad's medicine and his poison from the chest.

"Zero-"

I slipped them into my pocket, "I'm okay, I just-I'm fine."

He stared at me. "No, you're not okay. You can stay the night," he grabbed my arm and forced me to sit down on the couch.

"You know I can just shadow away right?" I said weakly.

Haneul smiled at me, "I know, but I also know that you don't want to."

I looked away.

He was right. I didn't want to leave, not now, not when I was just pushed away.

"Thanks," I murmured, twirling a lock of my hair subconsciously.

"No worries, we've done this enough times," he smirked as he left the room.

I crossed my legs, grabbing a pillow and snuggled up against his couch.

Haneul came back with a nice warm mug of cocoa and placed it in my hands, sitting down beside me before turning to me.

"So, you want to tell me about it?" 

"No, but thanks for letting me stay the night," I muttered.

"Not a problem, I haven't touched anything from your room, but I do change your sheets regularly, I hope you don't mind," Haneul rubbed the back of his neck absentmindedly, avoiding my glance.

I smiled, "I-I, thank you."

"You know what, stay as long as you want, I'll be in my room," he glanced quickly at me before looking away.

I nodded, looking out the window and sipping on my cocoa already.

-

-

"I should go," I said to Haneul the next morning, pulling on my, well Ben's, leather jacket and ready to head out.

"I'll drive you," he said.

"But-"

"No buts, I would like to visit the Academy anyway," he smirked. "Plus, I wanna meet the guy who did this to you."

Before I could respond, he'd already grabbed his car keys and pulling me out the door.

We turned down the corner to the Academy, the tall building looming high above us as we exited the car.

"We should be on time for breakfast," I dragged my hair back as I pushed open the gate. "Just, try to keep a low profile."

"Yes, ma'am," he ducked his head slightly as if teasing me.

I brought Haneul down to the kitchen, plopping him on a chair by the poker table as grabbed two mugs and poured us some coffee.

Not even a moment later, Klaus waltzed into the kitchen, his hands spread wide as he turned to me, "Luther has popped his cherry!"

I nearly choked on my coffee. "No way! How did that happen?"

Haneul looked at me with wide eyes, mouthing, "What?"

"He went on quite the rave last night," Klaus winked as he grabbed a few mugs.

Luther staggered in around five minutes later, his hood up and there were visible bags under his red eyes as he looked at me before sitting down.

I nudged his chair with my foot. "So? How was it?" I smirked.

He shot me a weak glare as I chuckled, sipping on my coffee.

"Here ya go. This'll fix ya," Klaus grinned, pouring coffee into Luther's cup.

As Luther leaned down to sip from it, a hand sneaked and grabbed the cup from his hands.

"Nice, okay," Five smiled, sniffing to coffee.

Luther sighed.

Five slurped the coffee and winced, "Jesus. Who do I gotta kill to get a decent cup of coffee?"

He shot Klaus a glare, not even acknowledging me or Haneul or Luther.

"I'm guessing that's him?" Haneul asked, placing his empty cup on the table.

Five turned to me and opened his mouth as if he wanted to say something but paused when he saw Haneul beside me and narrowed his eyes, "Who's that?"

"Hans, meet Five. Five, this is Haneul," I introduced the two.

"Can we get started?" Luther mumbled.

"Uh-huh, wait up, why is he here?" Five looked at me.

"Because he drove me back?" I side-eyed him, still annoyed with my husband.

"Holy shit, you spent the night at his place?" He gaped at me.

"So what?" Haneul furrowed his eyebrows.

"So what? Can't you see that she's taken?" Five gestured to the ring on my finger.

"And?" The Korean smirked.

"Oh, God. I'll deal with this later," Five pressed two fingers to his temple and sat down.

"Anyone seen any of the others? Diego? Allison? No?" Klaus asked. "All right, then, this is the closest thing to a quorum-" He picked up a metal spatula and banged it on the table. "-that we're gonna get."

Luther groaned quietly.

"Now, listen up. There's no easy way to say this, so I'm just gonna spit it out."

Klaus sighed, and added, "Yeah."

We all looked at him expectantly. 

Luther almost shouted. "Klaus."

"I conjured Dad last night," he flicked the spatula up and down.

Luther looked like he was about to faint when he turned to look at Klaus.

Five clasped his hands together, exchanged a glance with Luther and poured himself another cup of coffee.

"No shit," I looked at him, impressed.