CHAPTER SIX - YOU'LL BE BY MY SIDE

"The heart is an arrow, it demands aim to land true"

-

CHAPTER SIX — YOU'LL BE BY MY SIDE

I sat alone on my bed in my room, which was in between Five's and Ben's on the top floor.

"Hey, you okay?" Klaus asked, leaning against the doorframe with a silly look on his face.

I scoffed, cleaning my wound with a medical kit I found downstairs. "Do I look okay?"

Klaus grinned, "Well, I don't know, am I sober?"

I smirked. "When are you ever?"

I peered over to him, spotting another shadow near the doorframe. "Is there anyone with you?"

"Not that I know of, does Ben count though?" Klaus giggled.

"Ben?"

"Yeah, it's bad, but he's here, Ben!" Klaus beamed at the doorframe.

I shook my head, a soft smile making its way on to my face. I missed his antics.

Klaus looked around my room.

The wrought-iron bed squeaked with its gargoyles on each bedpost when Klaus plopped down beside me. The torn velvet canopy was sagging so low, it threatened to fall on top of us. "Be careful, Klaus, I don't want to die in my room with you," I warned, wrapping up my wound.

I placed the medical kit on my violet-lacquered chest of drawers as Klaus glared at the doorframe.

I frowned, my eyebrows knitting together as I look over to the additional shadow. "How did Ben, you know, go?" I asked, turning to Klaus.

Klaus looked at the doorframe and back at me. "Can we not talk about this?"

I wrung my hands. "Was it bad?"

"Well, duh. You jumped to the future in goddamn 2002, that breakfast was spectacular by the way, the look Father had," Klaus grinned. "But with Ben, oh you'd have died with him."

"I'm not having this conversation with you," I scowled, standing up and pushed the heavy curtains aside. "Did Mom clean my room? I thought I told her not to touch anything before."

"Yeah, I guess, she hates unhygienic rooms," my brother shrugged as he twirled a finger around a lock of his dark hair.

I crossed the room, throwing open my wardrobe doors and looking at the clothing I had. Uniform, uniform, uniform and uniform.

"Klaus, do you where I can find Ben's clothes?" I turned to him.

"Yup, I'm sure he wouldn't mind," he beamed like a Cheshire cat. "Gimme a sec."

Five minutes later, Klaus dashed back into my room with a black hoodie, leather jacket, and jeans.

"Since when did Ben keep ladies' jeans?" I picked up the pair of jeans.

"Oh no, those are mine."

I grinned as I shooed Klaus from my bed. "Sit on the floor and turn around."

Klaus frowned, sitting down on the floor with his back to me as I changed quickly.

"Okay, you can turn back around now," I said, lacing up a pair of combat boots.

"So, where are we going now?" Klaus spun around on the floor and tilted his head. "Ben says that he wants pancakes. He also told me to ask you why you have a wedding ring. Oh my God! You have a wedding ring!"

I blushed. "I'll tell you later. And also, tell Ben that he'll get the pancakes tomorrow. I have to go sort something out. We have plenty of time."

Even though we don't seem to have a lot of time left before the end of the world.

-

-

Five grasped the eyeball tightly in his hands as we stood in the nice marbled reception area of the ophthalmologist office.

"Uh, can I help you?" A man in a white jacket asked.

I turned to look at him. "Yes, we need to know who this belongs to."

Five held up the eyeball as the doctor's eyes widened slightly. "Where did you get that?"

"What do you care?" Five shot back with an annoyed tone.

I nudged him slightly.

"I...I found it...at a playground, actually," Five replied. "Uh, must have just-" he clicked his tongue. "-popped out."

"And I'm assuming this is your twin?" The doctor eyed me. 

"How dare you-" Five pulled my elbow back, stopping me from storming up to him.

"I wanna return it to its rightful owner," Five smiled innocently.

"Oh...what a thoughtful young man," the receptionist smiled at us. "And how nice of you to accompany this kid."

"Did you just-" Five yanked me back more forcefully this time.

I scowled as Five replied, "yeah, look up the name for me, will ya?"

"Uh, I'm sorry, but patient records are strictly confidential," the man said, clapping his hands together. "That means I can't tell you-"

"-Yeah, I know what it means," Five scoffed, rolling his eyes.

"But I'll tell you what I can do," the doctor continued. "I will take the eye off your hands and return it to the owner. I'm sure he or she will be very grateful, so if I could just-" He reached for the eye in Five's hand.

"Yeah, you're not touching this eye," Five clenched his jaw.

"Now, you listen here, young man-"

The man grunted as Five yanked him down to his face with his collar. "No! You listen to me, asshole. I've come a long way for this, through some shit your pea brain couldn't even comprehend, so just give me the information I need, and I'll be on my merry way," he growled dangerously.

The doctor opened his mouth to speak but Five continued, "and if you call me 'young man' one more time, I'm gonna put your head through that damn wall."

"Oh dear, call security," the doctor mumbled softly to the receptionist.

I clenched my hands, a ball of energy gathering at my fists. "How about you tell us about the eyeball and I don't rip you into shreds?"

The receptionist was trembling in her seat, her hands shaking as she dialled the phone.

"Don't-" I scowled. Five's grip around my wrist tightened.

Five scowled as he released the man. "Zero, let's go."