Chapter 18

"Niall, sweetheart, you're going to be late to school." Trisha said, kneeling in front of Niall who was curled up on the sofa where he had fallen asleep last night. She carded her fingers through his blonde hair as his eyes fluttered open. Since Zayn has been missing, Niall has been spending most of his time at the Malik house, trying to help them out.

"What time is it?" He mumbled, sitting up.

"8am. Go get ready, you can borrow some of -" She still struggled to speak about her son without breaking down. "Zayn's clothes." Niall gave her a small comforting smile and nodded.

He avoided coming into Zayn's room. Most of the family did. The room was kept exactly how he had left it the day that he disappeared. The messy bed from when he had ripped the blanket off himself so he could run into the bathroom before his sisters. The clothes scattered on the floor from when he was picking out what to wear. It was all exactly how Zayn had left it. And Trisha's plans to shout at him when he comes home for not cleaning his room.

Niall took a deep breath before walking over to Zayn's closet and scanning through the clothes. He wanted to pick something that Zayn had recently worn so that his scent was still on it. His eyes landed on the pink 'OBEY' sweatshirt with a skeleton on it that Zayn had worn on the first day. That felt like ages ago because of how close he was with him now but really it's only been two months.

Last night when Safaa had asked Niall where Zayn was, it had taken everything in him not to cry. But still, he composed himself and bent down to her level to try his best to explain this to her.

"We don't know where he is, Saf. But we do know he's going to be okay and he'll be back with us soon." And somehow Safaa had sensed how much this was affecting Niall so she wrapped her small arms around his neck and hugged him tightly.

"I know he'll be back. He's my superman." She whispered in his ear, remembering all the times she would dress up as a fairy and he would be a different superhero each time. Just two weeks ago, for halloween, Zayn chose to be superman while she was Elsa.

Niall walked into the kitchen where the whole family was sitting around the table, eating breakfast. It's Zayn's favourite shirt, Trisha notices. And her heart clenches tight in her chest, tears stinging at the corners of her eyes, and Doniya hold's her hand under the table. She forces a smile at Niall.

"I've made pancakes." Trisha says, motioning towards them. Just as he was going to take a seat, the doorbell rang.

"I'll see who it is." Yaser got up and walked to the door as Niall placed three pancakes on his plate. He drowned them in maple syrup as the deep muffled voices came closer.

Yaser walked in with two police officers following in behind him. Trisha got up to greet them, offering them tea to which the officers kindly declined.

"Any news, officer?" Niall spoke up.

"We've checked local hospital admissions from this week since Zayn has been missing. Nothing came up." When Trisha gave them a worried look, the officer added:"Which could be a good thing. It means he's not hurt."

"What's the next step?" She asked, sitting down as her legs suddenly got weak at the thought of what her sonshine might be going through.

"Let's try calling his phone again." The officer suggested. Everyone stood around the table with the Trisha's phone in the middle, on loudspeaker. Everyone except Yaser, who stood in the corner of the kitchen observing them.

"Hello...HAHA! You've reached my voicemail. I'm most likely not picking up on purpose so leave a message instead!" The person you are trying to reach is Unavailable, Please try again later.