(18)

The next two weeks were some of the best of Hinatas life post-trauma. He never thought he could ever be this happy.
Things with the team had finally settled down and practices seemed to run smoother. Hinata was improving his skills like receiving and his quick attacks with Kageyama.
He and Dani were also getting along nicely. They had been consistently texting and checking in on each other. The occasional beating was still ever present for Hinata, but it usually wasn't a problem to cover up the bruises.
Ever since he had failed to cover up the bruise under his chin, he had been extra vigilant about checking over his entire body for any more hidden bruising.
Because he was so busy with school and volleyball and homework during the day, he felt his nights should be just as eventful. So maybe 3 times a week, Hinata would go out to the woods to hang out and drink or smoke with his friends.
With everything going on in his life currently, something had to give. It was his sleep.
Hinata was lucky if he could get 4-5 hours of sleep each night, and he was finding it harder and harder to sleep even with melatonin in his system.
He didn't care though. If he had to give up sleep for happiness, he would.

His father had begun to ignore his sons existence completely. He had began to drink a little less, and by more nourishing food. For himself of course but Hinata always found a way to steal something.
Because of this, Dani no longer needed to give him her lunches and would now be able to eat them herself. However, she didn't want to. It really wasn't that she didn't 'want to' it was more like she couldn't. She felt trapped by food. Like it was a war between her and her health. And she was losing.

It was a regular Sunday night. Hinata hidden in his room finishing his school work while his father drank away his life in front of the tv. Suddenly, he heard him yell for him.
"HINATA!" The drunken slur was very present in his voice despite the background noise of his soft music and the loud TV.
Hinata cautiously approached.

His father stood, wobbling, from his chair and grabbed his son by his bright orange hair.
"I'm leaving tomorrow morning for a week long business trip. If I find even a speck of dust out of place when I return, I will not hesitate to beat the living shit out of you. Understand?" His grip grew tighter and tighter with each word.
"Y-yes." Finally he let go and Hinata scurried back up to his room.

He immediately lunged for his phone, texting Dani the news. As it turned out, her mother and her boyfriend had left that afternoon to go on a cruise that week. The timing was perfection.
They pair had texted for a while longer coming up with a plan. They had wanted to spend the week together, taking turns staying at each other's houses. Their plan was that Dani would come by Hinata's afternoon practice and the two would walk to Hinata's house together. Hinata could barely sleep he was so excited.

During his morning practices and classes, Hinata was bouncing off the walls. Everyone was somewhat shocked at his energy, but whenever they asked him why he was so happy, he would just shrug and say something passive like how he was just in a good mood.
They ran finally understood the reason for his unexplained happiness when a short, skinny girl with dyed blonde hair walked in towards the end of their final water break for that day.
Immediately she was surrounded.

As expected, the seniors took charge and ordered everyone away. Asahi has crouched down to her level, or tried to, and asked if she was here to see Hinata.
She just gazed up at him and nodded her head, not questioning how they knew why she was there or who she was there to see. Daichi and Suga were surprised when she hadn't acted afraid or at least cautious of Asahi, as that was everyone's natural reaction to him.
As they waited with her for Hinata to return from the bathroom, Suga asked her what had been picking at his brain.
"Um, sorry if this is a bit forward but weren't you scared of Asahi? I mean he's a pretty scary guy at first!" She just shook her head, shurgged and said,
"There are far scarier people in this world.". Suga could have sworn she had said something along the lines of 'I would know' but he didn't want to push it.

Finally Hinata returned from the bathroom to find Dani chatting with Suga, Daichi and a few other members of the team.
His breath stopped.
It seemed that everyone else had noticed Hinata come in and decided to tease him a little bit. Hinata was a little uncomfortable with this; and luckily Daichi announced that it was time to practice again for 30 minutes and then it would be time to go. He gave a nod to Hinata as he said this.

He was able to hit multiple quick attacks with Kageyama and in front of his crush no less, he had hoped he had impressed her.
After practice was done he walked over to Dani, who he noticed had shining eyes. She finally stood up and screamed.
"Hinata! That was amazing! Do you have any idea how cool that was?? You went 'wah' then 'boom!'! It was so hard to not cheer but I didn't want to distract you so I kept quiet but I can't anymore that was so cool!!" Everyone smiled widely at this. Hinata was in good hands, and vise versa.
She was most likely the reason for his no longer faked smiles and mood improvement.
The team didn't know what she was doing there, watching their practice, but they were glad to have met her. At least now they knew who the mystery girl in the picture was. Or at least they knew who she wanted them to know.

Hey everyone! I just wanted to let you know that I'm going to try to post weekly updates from now on. Two updates per week had me stretched a little too thin and I want to produce quality content over quantity. I hope you all understand and enjoy this chapter!💗💗