(34)

The nothingness that occupied Hinata's mind was comforting. He almost forgot how much he appreciated sleep, or rather eat more appreciated the times when he didn't dream.

Hinata's life when he was awake was hell, most of the time he spent asleep was hell too. Tortured night after night with terrible horrific nightmares.

But every once in a while, his brain seemed to get bored of the constant suffering and granted him a reprieve.

It was times like these, the dreamless sleep, that Hinata was able to rest. Truly rest.

It felt like only a few seconds had passed before he was woken by the bright sun beginning to rise.  It would be quite embarrassing to fall back asleep for "five more minutes" only to be discovered beaten and bruised on the ground outside of the gym so Hinata decided it would be best if he got up now and save himself from that future.

Rising from the concrete his body ached and cricked showing the damage sleeping on the hard ground had done to his body. Hinata then made his way over to the restrooms he knew would be unlocked.

His reflection scared him if he was going to be honest. His skin was dull and pale as well as his once vibrant orange hair. The dark bags that fell under his eyes made it seem like he had not slept in weeks. Even his eyes were bloodshot and puffy.
But what was worse was the bruising on his neck. They were very clear handprints wrapped around the circumference of his neck and were black and red in color.

Hinata almost laughed.
Partially because he knew that even if he hadn't told Kageyama what was going on, the team would still find out based on his strangulation marks.

He took a shaky deep breath again locking eyes with the boy in the mirror.

This is the last moment that he would be in his situation. It's not that he wanted to savor it, Hinata just wanted to remember this moment. Engrave it in his brain as the last moment he would let his father have power over him.

He didn't know what would come next, and even though he wasn't ready for the aftermath he didn't have a choice. It's now or never.

Hinata then picked up his phone and dialed in the numbers he knew so well. Dani. She had to know.

A sleepy voice answered on the second ring, hushed and guarded but still laced with adorable confusion. It almost made Hinata blush.

"Hey...it's me...I have to tell you what's going on." He whispered back matching her volume as to not startle her.
"W-What do u mean is everything okay?"

Hinata took a deep breath.

"Kind of. I...um...told kageyama what's been happening to me with my dad yesterday. And he's going to go with me to talk to my captain and coaches about it. But l-last night something bad happened. I was asleep in bed but then I couldn't breathe and when I woke u-up my father was st-strangling me a-and I could feel myself turning b-blue and I fought him off of me and he got knocked out but I left...I ran away."

"Oh my god...oh my god! Are you okay?? Holy shit babe I-I have to make sure you're okay oh my god!" He could hear her panicked voice begin to cry and hyperventilate.

"I want to see you too but don't come see me if you can't get away safely. I'm still going to be here even if things change in my life. I just wanted you to know what was going on."

"Where did you run to? Kageyama's house? A shelter?"

"A-Actually I slept on the ground outside of Karasuno...."

"...you're kidding me, right?"

"Uhh....no?"

"You're so dumb Hinata! Someone could've robbed you! Or kidnapped you! You could be sick you can't just sleep outside!"