(24)

Monday.
A day Hinata has not been looking forward to.

His alarm clock chirped it's usual tune, and when Hinata awoke, all he felt was pain.
Sore pain, burning pain, numb pain. Whatever pain he could feel, he did.
Moving around trying to peel himself out of bed was the worst. His lashings had scabbed over, and the movement caused them to re-open and bleed again.

As he made his way to the bathroom to attempt to clean and bandage himself, he noticed that he has received a text from Dani while he was asleep.
It read:
Hey. Sorry I haven't texted you back.
Going thru some stuff. Text when I can.
bye<3

'Huh?' Hinata thought. 'I hope she's okay...'

He texted back:
Hiiiii! I miss you~ text me back when you can okay?😋
don't forget about me!<3

Dani was acting strange. Or at least that's what Hinata could gather from her texts. It was like she didn't want to talk to him. And why would she? She's probably realized by now that he's a hopeless cause. She probably wanted to get out while she still could.
A bad feeling hit his stomach, twisting and curling, refusing to detach from him.

The voices were louder that day.

After the grueling bike ride, Hinata was finally able to make it to school.
Luckily he made sure to get there earlier than everyone else so he could go to the bathroom and touch up his concealer that he had applied earlier when he woke up.
His back was constantly in pain.
Throbbing, itching, swelling pain.
Hinata almost forgot what it was like to not feel pain all the time he was so used to it.

Looking at himself in the bathroom mirror, Hinata was disgusted. He could barely even cover the lighter bruises so he didn't bother trying with the newer, darker ones.
His mask kept slipping, it was getting harder to put it back on.
Hinata allowed one tear to escape his eyes before wiping it away.
Everything in Hinata's life had been falling apart recently. Dani wasn't talking to him, his dad's beatings were probably only going to get worse, especially now since he can cause intense pain with just a belt buckle, and now Hinata could barely keep up his act.

He found himself missing the woods, missing the drug clouded nights that he spent with those friends. Missing the escape.
Hinata hasn't gone to the woods in a bit. It wasn't like he and his friends just stopped contact, they all texted each other almost every day. Hinata was just so exhausted.

Suddenly he heard a crash from outside the bathroom. Hinata quickly checked his face for tears, and when he didn't find any left, he took a deep breath and walked out of the bathroom.

He knew that his team would ask questions...too many questions. He knew they would catch on too easily.

Outside of the bathroom he ran into Kageyama.

"O-oh hey Hina- oh my god are you okay??"
Hinata quickly jumped into his narrative.

"Yeah I'm fine! I was biking home and I saw this middle schooler being picked on so I went over to help him out but the guys there were a lot bigger than me. So I distracted them while the kid ran away. They got me good but don't worry! I got some hits in too!" Hinata said enthusiastically while showing Kageyama his muscles.
Hinata hoped this story would work. It had to. If anyone on the team found out about what his dad had been doing, they would treat him differently for sure. He already looked like a kid, he didn't want to be treated like one too.

"Why would you jump in dumbass?! Damn you really are an idiot. But what about...never mind. Did you at least treat your wounds?"

"Yeah don't worry about me, Daichi probably won't let me practice today though..." Hinata sulked.