(38)

Hinata has actually never been inside Kageyama's home despite how close the two were, they practically shared brain waves.

It was small in size but plenty of room for his family of three to live comfortably.

There was no beer in the fridge or inside the cupboards, and their shelves looked newly stocked. Hinata couldn't help but wonder what Kageyama's parents reaction was when they were asked by their son for permission for Hinata to stay for a bit. He pictured the mothers face twist into horror and shock, throwing a gentle hand over her mouth. He imagined the father would remove his glasses and pinch his brow in discomfort at hearing what another father could do to their child.

Despite imagining this, the couple housing him were incredibly nice and thoughtful. Hinata wondered if this is what he could have had if only he wasn't selfish when he was younger.
No matter what anybody told him, Hinata still harbored guilt and responsibility for what happened to his mother and sister.

Thankfully, they made no effort to discuss with Hinata what occurred in his past home, but assured him that he could come to them for anything he needed. Even if what he needed was just to talk.
Kageyama offered Hinata to sleep in his room with him on a futon but Hinata declined, opting for the guest room instead. He realized that his friend was just trying to be nice, but Hinata didn't want to encroach on his space any more than he already had.

The first night was spent tossing and turning. It was hard for Hinata to imagine how his life would change after this.
Would this experience leave lasting effects? Probably. But hey, trauma builds character right?

Looking over to the digital clock on the bedside table, it read 4:47am. Time didn't feel real to Hinata anymore. He still had this building pressure in his chest that made him jump when Kageyama's father set down his glass of water too loudly or abruptly. His jaw clenched every time he heard someone walking down the hallway. His palms clammed up when he would look out the guest room window at the street, just waiting to see his father approach the house and kill him.

All Hinata could do was let out a heavy sigh and stare at the ceiling once again. His mind began to wander, which was dangerous.

Hinata thought of his team, he thought of his grandparents, and he also thought of Dani.
His team would be shocked, maybe even horrified depending on how much they have been told. He knew they would have questions. He still hasn't talked to Daichi and Suga, he had a foggy memory of waving goodbye to them on his way to the hospital, but that was all. Hinata felt sorry for them. They must be really scared.

His grandparents would also be scared. Hinata was never close with them, he's never even visited. But he made sure to send a letter occasionally checking in on them and thanking them once again for paying for his cell phone bill. Maybe he would have to go live with them and be forced to leave everyone behind. They were the only relatives he knew of, his mother or father never had any siblings as far as he knew.

'What if I'm forced to move in with them? I'll be leaving Dani behind! The team behind! There would be no more volleyball, no more friends, and no more...her. Who knows what would happen?!' Hinata thought to himself.

Slowly as realization set in, he began to cry. The day had been extremely overwhelming for Hinata, and he was exhausted to say the least. Crying only took out whatever energy he seemed to have left, and he drifted off to sleep with the tears still rolling down his cheeks.

He knew he would regret speaking up if it meant he had to leave his friends behind.

The next day, while Kageyama went to school, his parents took him down to the police station so he would be able to speak with a social worker.
Hinata was tired of talking. Tired of retelling the same shit over and over again only for all of them to give him the exact same look of pity.