(36)

If Hinata was being honest, he didn't feel like he was living his own life. To him it seemed as though he was just going through the motions. Leaving the guidance office alongside his coach and school guidance counselor and heading to the police station didn't feel real. 

It was hard for him to believe that his nightmare might finally be ending. But he couldn't let himself get too happy. Any number of things could happen from now until his father was behind bars, and even then he would eventually get out. 

No one spoke in the car ride there. Hinata seemed too out of it for Ukai to start a proper conversation, and even if he was aware of his surroundings, Ukai didn't know what he would talk about. Certainly not what he had been through, that much he knew. 

Ukai's mind always seemed to wander off from him while he was driving. This time it wandered off to what would happen to Hinata now. He wasn't sure if he had any relatives in the area that he could stay with, but if he did wouldn't he have gone to stay with them instead of with his father? In all honesty, thinking about what Hinata had gone through hurt Ukai's heart. He was amazed at the small first year for his resilience and strength. It took a lot of bravery to get help, especially with the threat of death hanging over him. 

Hinata on the other hand didn't want to think about his own situation. Even if he wanted to another topic occupied his mind. Dani. He knew she couldn't be on her phone too much during the day or else she might get caught with it, but he wanted her there by his side. He was scared. 

He was so caught up in his own mind that he barely registered the strong smell of coffee entering his nose as he entered the police precinct. What shook him out of his daydream was the  Child Protection Officer extending her hand to him Introducing herself as Miss. Aki. Although it sounded like his ears were stuffed with cotton, he could tell that she was guiding the group to a separate part of the station. It was much more quiet and recluse, more appropriate for the topics they would discuss in their visit. 

(I just want to say I am not a police officer and what I do know about what happens in situations like this is solely based on initial research and tv shows/movies. And even then I only have this idea for what happens in America not Japan where this manga/anime takes place. I am sorry if I get any information wrong. If you are in a similar situation to this and are needing police assistance, please do your own research for your country/state/town and do not think how I describe it will be your exact situation. !!!This is purely for plot and storytelling!!!)

Hinata was asked to wait outside the small room on a wooden chair. Something about how they'll get an overview of the situation at hand from the adults then call him in to clarify details and other things. Hinata wondered how the rest of the team was doing. He knew Daichi would have to tell them what was going on at some point. He had to give them an explanation.  

He could almost see them sitting on the cool gym floor before practice. 

'They would probably be told in the afternoon' Hinata thought to himself. That would be the most logical way to do it. So it wouldn't affect their school day as much. Hinata wondered what they might think of him. Would they be angry at him for not saying something sooner? Would they pity him and baby him? Treat him like he's fragile? 

Hinata knew he was anything but fragile. Sure physically he might be considered fragile, but deep down he knew that his experience had made him rough and rigid. He wasn't sure if he could ever return to the happy little boy his mother knew him as. 

Maybe he would be damaged forever.

Before he knew it, the door had opened and he locked eyes with his coach, who looked back at him with remorse and a little pity.