Prologue

Love is in the air for the Nile Crocodiles of the River Valley, for the breeding season has finally arrived in their lush, water-filled lands. The younger crocodiles, having now come of age, are more than eager to attract suitable mates, while the older crocodiles are content to stick with the same mates that they have had over the years. Instead, the elders spend most of their time watching and even giving advice to the adolescents. The older males show the younger males different fighting techniques, while the older females give the younger females tips on how to be good mothers.

Watching the excitement from the leader's rock on the island in the middle of the lake is Cayman. He looks over the float that he has led for many years now; a group of crocodiles that his mother, Nia, once led a long time ago. Cayman still can't believe that he is not only leader of his own float, but also the whole of the River Valley.

{Of course, being leader has had its challenges, with the fight to receive the position being the first one to complete.}

As Cayman thought about this, he automatically glanced down at his front left leg. His broken-and-beyond repair front left leg. Cayman remembered the day he challenged his mother for leadership, and how just before he won, Nia caught his leg in her jaws and shattered it within a matter of seconds. Cayman shuddered at the memory.

"Cayman, are you alright?"

Having been snapped out of his thoughts, Cayman felt a body line-up and press against his. He looked up and away from his leg to see his mate, Mesi, lying right beside him, her sparkling, emerald green eyes staring at him with some concern. Cayman's heart skips a beat as he continues looking into them. Mesi was always there for him, and he was always there for her. Cayman was an only child, and Mesi was a newcomer to the float with no family to look after her, so they obviously grew close at a young age. When they reached 20 years of age, the age when crocodiles of the River Valley are allowed to mate, the two friends became mates, having developed a strong bond with each other. Over the years, they have been by each other's sides, no matter what. Cayman would hate to think of what he would do without her.

"Just thinking about the past. Nothing to worry about, especially not at a time like this," Cayman responded. "So, did you come up here to keep me company, or did you need to see me about something?"

"Well, it is the mating season, as you know. Also, you could probably tell from your viewpoint up here that the elders are making it their responsibility to give some useful advice to the youths," Mesi explains, then scoffs. "As if they ever listen, but the elders don't seem to care about what they think."

A moment of silence fell before Mesi sighed and continued talking.

"Speaking of youngsters who do not listen to their elders, Masika has taken off before I could even try to convince her to stay for the mating season...again."

Cayman sighed and shook his head.

"You know how she is, Mesi. Once she sets her mind to something, she will stick to it, no matter what. We cannot force her to stay in the Valley during the mating season, especially since she has made it perfectly clear that she does not want a mate. I know that you are worried about her. I am, too, but remember that she is strong and smart. She can take care of herself no problem."

"I hope you're right, for our daughter's sake."

Mesi rubbed her jaw against Cayman's for a little while. Eventually, they turned their attentions back to the float, any worries they had currently being put aside. Besides, Cayman had a friend keeping a close eye on his daughter.