Chapter 5

Dusk... 

"Hey, Makuu, is there something wrong?"

The crocodile leader, snapped out of his concerned trance, looked up to see Talib perched atop a nearby rock, staring at him.

"Huh? What do mean 'is there something wrong'? I'm fine!"

"Makuu, I can tell that something's bothering you," Talib stated.

"Well, I guess you could say that," Makuu admitted, then sighed. "Talib, mind if I ask you something?"

"It's about Masika, isn't it?"

"Yeah, it is."

"Is it something I should worry about?"

"Maybe?"

"I'll take that as a 'yes'. Well, you can tell me about it later. I spotted Masika heading this way on my way back here, and I doubt she'll be happy if she catches us talking about her."

"Good idea."

***

Not long after Masika returned did Makuu lead her and the other crocodiles to the dry season sparring grounds, located not all that far away from the watering hole. Hodari and Talib accompanied them, but they decided to perch in a nearby tree for safety reasons.

Makuu would usually have his crocodiles pair-up and spar one another, but tonight will be a little different. This time around, they will face Masika in one-on-one fights to test each other's skills. It also provided the opportunity for Makuu and Masika to compare and contrast their fighting techniques.

{I know that Masika is a female, and female crocodiles shouldn't be as capable of certain things as us males, but she's done nothing but surprise me so far. If there is one thing that I don't want to do, it's underestimate her.}

***

"You're the last one, Makuu! You ready?" Masika called out.

At this point in time, Makuu's confidence level is at an all-time low. Although some fights lasted longer than others, Masika was able to beat all of Makuu's crocodiles. Masika was very strong and tactful in both her offensive and defensive positions, but Makuu noticed that she moved quite a bit slower than his crocodiles.

{She did say that crocodiles are expert water fighters where she comes from. I'm guessing that they aren't as skilled when it comes to fighting on land as compared to fighting in the water, but despite her fighting outside of her comfort zone, she's doing an amazing job of holding her own.}

"Hey! Makuu! What's taking you so long? Are you having second thoughts or something?"

"No! Just thinking!"

"Well, I highly suggest putting the brain work on hold for a while, that is, unless you plan on trying to outsmart me in this fight!"

"Let's just get this done and over with! Besides, you can't claim victory until you've beaten me!"

"If you are like your crocodiles, then that shouldn't be a problem!"

Makuu growled in response to Masika's cocky remark, and the next 5-10 minutes or so were spent with the two of them sparring with one another. Masika may be stronger, but Makuu is faster, and considering his status as leader, he has a better chance of winning as compared to the rest of his float. Blows were exchanged, and they either missed, were avoided, or hit their marks. This continued for some time, until Makuu managed a headbutt that sent Masika rolling tail lengths away, but little did he know that this was a part of a trick that she had planned specifically for her match against him.