Chapter 39

It hadn't been that long since the lion guard and Makuu left Talib behind with Kiburi and the twins when the sounds that the mystery crocodile made became clear. After all, they were very close to the spot where Ono claimed to have seen the crocodile. Eventually, the group made it to a rather barren patch of land, where the only bit of greenery around was the tiny grove that Ono said he saw. Despite the compact looking space, Makuu wouldn't be at all surprised if there was enough space in the middle for a crocodile to lie down in.

{Well, assuming they even stick to the middle.}

Makuu spotted the unmistakable tail tip of a crocodile poking out of the bushes. The animals were lucky that they were searching for the mystery crocodile in the light of the rising sun, because it would have been next to impossible to spot in the darkness.

"Alright! We found him!" Bunga exclaimed. "Now all we have to do is get him to come out."

"Makuu, do you think you could convince him to come with us?" Kion asked, turning around to look at the crocodile leader.

"Why me?" Makuu asked. "It's because I'm a crocodile, isn't it?"

"It might go over better, or at least faster, if it was with another crocodile."

"Alright, fine! I'll do it! Just try to be patient and not get in my way. Got it?"

"Completely understood, Makuu. We won't intervene unless absolutely necessary."

"You better make sure of that," Makuu muttered as he made his way over to the tiny grove.

When he reached the small area of greenery, Makuu circled around to see if he could find a way in. At least half way around, he came across a gap between bushes, and it provided a partial view of the center of the grove. Raising his body a little higher to get a better perspective, Makuu spotted the mystery crocodile lying down very close to one side of the tiny clearing.

{No wonder we saw his tail tip sticking out of the bushes. He's practically hugging them! Why doesn't he just lie down in the middle instead?}

"H...hello? Is someone there?"

Makuu nearly jumped out of his scales, startled to hear the crocodile speak.

"Uh, yeah," Makuu responded. "How did you..."

"I could hear voices nearby, but you don't sound like the one that I heard."

"You probably heard Bunga. He's usually pretty loud."

"Is he a friend of yours?"

"He's...more of an acquaintance than anything else."

"Oh."

A short pause followed before the crocodile continued speaking.

"Wait a sec, I think I recognize your voice. I'm pretty sure I've heard someone refer to you as Makuu."

"Yeah, that's me, and in case you're wondering, I am one of the crocodiles that you were fighting back in the canyon."

"I had a feeling you were. You're not here to do anything bad to me, are you?"

"No, but I'm coming in, if that's alright with you."

"Sure, I guess. If you're not going to hurt me, that is."

"Well, I would probably get into a lot of trouble if I did."

Makuu walked through the gap in the bushes and into the clearing. Considering how small it was with only a couple of crocodiles in it, Makuu decided to stay near the gap, bringing his tail to his side when he settled down on the ground.