Chapter 10

"Hahaha! Sorry, Makuu, but that is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard!"

"I can tell."

Makuu knew that Zaire wasn't going to believe him, but he told him about the lion guard anyway. Makuu gave Zaire brief descriptions of all its members and what their purpose was in the Pridelands. He also decided to refrain from talking about all the trouble that he and his float had caused in the past. When Makuu finished his explanation, Zaire's reaction was expected.

"Now come on! I just want to get this done and over with."

"I'm following you, Makuu, so there's no need to be bossy."

Makuu bit back a retort, not wanting to get into an argument with Zaire, especially not at Pride Rock.

The two crocodiles climbed up a sloping part of Pride Rock and onto the rocky platform that Simba used to look down upon or gaze across the Pridelands. When they reached the platform, Makuu saw Simba, Kion and the Guard, and...

"Talib?!" Makuu exclaimed when his gaze landed on the hoopoe.

{What is he doing here? I thought he was back at the watering hole. Guess he took off when Kiburi arrived and decided to come here for whatever reason.}

"Makuu? What are you doing here?" Talib asked, but his tone quickly changed when he spotted Zaire. "And not to be rude or anything, but why in the world did you bring Zaire along with you?"

"I didn't exactly plan on leaving a complete stranger behind with my float. I'm not that stupid, Talib."

"I didn't say you were. I'm just saying that it would have been a better idea."

"For who? Me, or my float? Or are you hoping that Masika will teach him a lesson or two without someone there to stop her?"

"That's not what I'm saying and you know it!"

"You know what? I think I'll just go now," Zaire suggested.

"Enough!" Simba roared, silencing the quarreling animals. "The three of you, please settle down and be quiet! Makuu, Talib was just telling us about what happened with Kiburi, and, of course, Masika's brother. I assume you're here for the same exact reason?"

Makuu nodded his head.

"Well, the Guard and I have been talking with Talib, and we have decided that if Zaire stays in the Pridelands, most likely for the same amount of time as his sister, then he, and his sister, are both your responsibilities."

"What?!" Makuu yelled, not believing a word of what he was hearing. "But, you can't do that!"

"Actually, yes, Makuu, I can. You may not like it..."

"May not like it? You haven't even asked for my permission! You didn't even discuss it with me!"

"I'm sorry, Makuu, but my decision is final. I don't have time to discuss this any further."

"What kind of lame excuse is that?"

"It's not an excuse, it's a fact. Now, I do have other business to attend to, so if you will excuse me..."

"Seriously? What could possibly be more important than my problem right now?"

"Figure it out for yourself, Makuu, unless you would prefer it if I find a different kind of solution."

"Was that a threat?"

"I don't know, but continue acting like that and I'll be sure to make it a direct one. Have I made myself clear?"

"But, Simba..."

"Clear, or not?"

"...Yes, your majesty."