Chapter 4

"Masika! What are you doing?"

"What does it look like I'm doing? I'm going to wake him up."

"Are you crazy?! Don't wake him up, especially not like that!"

"Why not? It worked for my brother."

"Yes, but Makuu isn't your brother, so just leave him alone. Besides, he's probably better than your brother anyway."

"What did you just say?"

"You know exactly what I said! Besides, it's true."

"No! You're wrong! By the stars, you sound just like everybody else!"

{Ugh...what in the world is going on? Sounds like...Masika and Talib. Great. Don't those two know that some animals around here are trying to sleep?}

Makuu, awakened by the ensuing argument nearby, stirred from his slumber and opened his eyes as he raised his head out of the water.

"Makuu!" Masika and Talib exclaimed at the same time.

"Good morning to you two as well," Makuu said.

A moment of silence passed.

"We disturbed you with our arguing, didn't we?" Talib guessed.

"You don't say," Makuu replied sarcastically.

"Did you hear what we were arguing about?" Masika asked.

"Oh, I heard everything alright. Masika, last night you were going to tell me about your brother, and since the two of you were literally just talking about him, I'm sure you wouldn't mind resuming the conversation."

Masika took a moment to exchange looks with Talib. It didn't take him long to realize what she wanted.

"Fine. I can tell that this is going to be a private conversation between the two of you. Whatever. I know when I'm not needed. Masika, I expect you to try to behave yourself while I'm gone."

"No promises, babble-beak," Masika teased.

"Shut-up, Masika!" Talib snapped, but in a playful tone rather than a forceful one. He flew away, but Masika waited until he was out of sight before starting.

"Well, you wanted to know about my brother, so here I go. For starters, I had a lot of brothers growing-up, but the one I am talking about is the one that I am closest to. Also, he is the only brother of mine that is still alive, for reasons that I will get to later. Anyway, his name is Zaire, and believe it or not, you kinda remind me of him. Although, after listening to me talk about him, you might not think so. My brother has had many problems throughout his life, and it isn't exactly easy for me to talk about them, but I'll try."

***

You wouldn't believe me if you saw him, but Zaire was the runt of the nest. He was very shy and not all that outgoing. Basically the only way anyone could get him to do anything was if they promised to show him a fighting technique or two. All of my brothers loved to fight, but Zaire expressed a particular interest in it. For his entire life, Zaire practiced and perfected his combat skills in order to prepare himself for that one day where he would challenge our father for leadership. Zaire wanted to become leader more than anything else, and he wasn't willing to let anyone or anything get in his way. Even though his heart was set on becoming leader, he always made sure to spend some time with us, his family. Zaire learned what he could from our parents, Cayman and Mesi, and whenever he wasn't being serious and just wanted to have fun, he would hang-out with me. Our other brothers always picked on Zaire for his small size, but they would always regret it and become so embarrassed whenever I kicked their tails in a fight. There were a lot of activities we enjoyed doing together, but I have to say that our favorite thing to do together was gorge surfing because it was extremely dangerous and totally against the rules. However, as always, the good times didn't last, and change was coming faster than any of us expected. Our family started to break apart not long after we reached 20 years of age. Zaire and I were still close, but we both got the feeling that we couldn't trust the rest of our family, especially our parents. We believed that they were hiding something from us, something about their pasts, but they didn't become our main concern until after what happened to our brothers. You know how I said that they died? Well, that's because they all challenged Cayman for leadership and got killed in the process. Not to say that my brothers weren't strong, they were, but unlike Zaire, were pretty dim-witted and almost never thought things through. Zaire and I knew that our brothers' stupidity and overconfidence would kill them, and it did, and with all of them out of the way, we had more time to focus on what secrets our parents were hiding. We didn't discover anything for many moons, but I guess Zaire somehow found out about something because, after a while, rumors of our long lost grandfather, Dakarai, surfaced. Many crocodiles believed that he was still alive and that Zaire was secretly training under him, or that Zaire is the reincarnation of Dakarai himself, come to haunt the crocodiles of the River Valley once again. We never knew our grandfather, but he obviously left behind a legacy so dark that the float made it perfectly clear that they didn't want Zaire to stay. I knew that my brother's life was at stake, but so was Cayman's status as leader, and if he didn't do something about Zaire, then he would have suffered a rebellion from the other crocodiles. I know that dad was doing what he thought was best, but to this day I still haven't forgiven him for banishing Zaire when he could have given him a chance. When Zaire heard the news, he was furious, and swore that he would be back for his rightful place as leader. That was the last time I saw him. I'm just hoping that he hasn't done anything stupid or have gotten himself killed. Who knows? Maybe one day he will become leader, but I highly doubt that anyone would trust him.

***

Masika breathed heavily after finishing.

"Well, I'm done. Satisfied?"

She looked at Makuu, who seemed completely lost.

"Too much to process in one sitting?" Masika asked.

"Ya think?!" Makuu exclaimed.

Makuu's head was spinning from all of the information that was thrown at him. There was so much to learn about Zaire in such a short amount of time that Makuu could barely process everything that he just heard. However, he was most intrigued by the stigma that was placed upon Zaire. Makuu remembered what Masika said about her grandfather, and he wondered what Dakarai did to make an entire float of crocodiles feel so paranoid that they were willing to banish one of their own based on superstition.

"Makuu?"

"Huh? Oh, sorry. Was there something that you wanted?"

"Actually, I just want to ask you a question," Masika replied.

"Regarding?" Makuu inquired.

"Well, you guys do spar with each other to work on your fighting techniques, right?"

"Yeah. So?"

"So...I was wondering if maybe sometime sooner or later I could spar with you and your crocodiles? You know, just for practice. I'm also curious to see how you southern crocodiles fight. I mean, that is assuming you're not afraid to get your tails kicked by a female."

"Are you challenging my crocodiles and I to see who's stronger? Cause if you are, then you're on! Just don't expect any of us to go easy on you."

"I wouldn't have it any other way. Does dusk sound good to you?"

"Better than fighting under a blazing hot sun."

Masika laughed, while Makuu turned around and swam over to shore to join his float. They were all basking in the sun, but as their leader approached, made room for him on the embankment. Makuu climbed onto dry land, but he didn't settle down just yet. He looked around for Masika, and noticed that she was still right where he left her. Except...her attention wasn't fixed on them, but rather on something off in the distance, away from the watering hole.

{She sees something alright. I just hope it's not who I think it is.}

"Masika, you see something?"

Masika's attention didn't waver for a second at the sound of Makuu's call. He tried a second time, but she still didn't respond.

{What in the world is wrong with her?}

Makuu tried again, this time practically yelling. Masika shook her head and turned her attention onto the float, finally hearing the leader's call. She took one last look around before swimming over to the other crocodiles.

"What?" Masika snapped once she reached the shoreline.

"Are you okay?" Makuu asked.

"I'm fine. I just thought I saw something that wasn't really there. I mean, why would he be here? He wouldn't be. It's impossible!"

"Masika, are you sure you're okay?"

"I said I'm fine! The heat is probably just getting to me is all. Besides, it's none of your business, so just leave me alone. I'll see you and the others later."

Makuu didn't get the chance to say anything else before Masika stormed past and away from the float. He was unsettled by her freak-out, and based on the expressions of the rest of the float, he guessed that they felt the exact same way.

{What is going on? Is she hiding something from us? If she is, then I have to figure out what. But as of right now, I don't think she's going to talk about it with me. I guess I could ask Talib. Maybe he knows something that could help me out.}

"Makuu, what was that all about?"

It was Hodari. The lizard was staring at him, his eyes alight with concern.

"Honestly, I don't know."

"Do you think something bad is going to happen? Like something really really bad?"

"I sincerely hope not, Hodari."

"Are you planning on doing anything about it?"

"Depends on what Talib has to say. I'll talk to him first, then figure out what to do later."