Chapter 15

"Oi! If you two love birds are done cuddling each other, mind filling me in on what happened to Zaire?"

Makuu and Masika were completely startled out of their scales and immediately separated. They looked in the direction of where they thought the voice originated from, and they were quite surprised to see who it was.

"Talib?!" Makuu and Masika exclaimed at the same time, staring at the hoopoe hanging out in one of the nearby trees.

An awkward silence fell before anyone said anything else.

"How long have you been there?" Masika asked.

"Watching you two get all lovey-dovey with each other? I'd say long enough to know that both of you have feelings for each other," Talib answered before flying down to join the crocodiles. "Don't worry, I won't tell anyone. I value my life, thank you very much."

"Never mind that," Makuu said after clearing his throat. "The question is, where the hell have you been? You disappeared yesterday and never came back."

"If you must know, something caught my eye and I went to investigate, but it took me a bit longer than I expected."

"Care to share any details?"

"Maybe, but first and foremost, you have to tell me what in the world happened to Zaire."

"We don't know," Masika confessed. "I'm guessing Zaire left the swamp during the bet without my knowledge and, considering the condition he's in, must have gotten into a terrible fight on his way back. Not long after we saw him limping to the watering hole did he pass out. Now we're just waiting for the lion guard to get here with Rafiki so that he can take care of my brother."

"Sounds plausible, but quick question: did Zaire say anything before he passed out?" Talib asked.

"Aside from acting like himself, refusing help and all, Zaire said that there was no need to worry and that he took care of it, whatever 'it' may be."

After Masika recounted what her brother said, both she and Makuu noticed a slight change in Talib.

"Talib, what is it that you're hiding from us?" Masika pried.

"Uh...well...I'm not sure if I should tell you, but I guess it's better to tell you now instead of you finding out about it later," Talib replied.

"Spit it out, Talib," Makuu snapped. "We don't have all day, ya know!"

"After the attack yesterday, something caught my eye and I went to go check it out, only for me to lose sight of it. I searched for hours, but I couldn't find whatever I saw. It was also getting dark, so I decided to stop for the day and continue the search in the morning. Not long after nightfall, I was awakened by the sounds of brutal fighting. Obviously, my curiosity got the better of me, and so, I went in search of what was going on. Suddenly, the sounds of fighting ceased, and I had no choice but to resort to my original plan. As soon as the sun rose above the horizon this morning, I returned to my search and finally found the place, which, I may add, was an absolute mess."

"What else?" Masika demanded.

"Does there have to be something else?" Talib asked.

"There definitely is if you asked that."

"Okay. I mean, I guess there may or may not have been a dead Crescent Valley crocodile."

"A Crescent Valley crocodile?!" Makuu gasped, his panic levels rising. "Are you sure?"

"Positive. I know what their kind look like."

"Hold on a moment," Masika interjected. "I heard that the main reason a Crescent Valley crocodile would leave home is if they have a grudge to settle...which means Zaire must have pissed one of them off."

{Or maybe it's not just one crocodile.}

"Talib, what would happen if the entire float held a grudge?" Makuu asked.

"I don't think you want the answer to that," Talib said. "And even then, you probably know what the answer is."

{Oh...I was afraid he was going to say that.}

"What are you guys talking about?"

It was the lion guard. They had finally arrived, with Rafiki in tow.

"Nothing!" Makuu, Masika, and Talib all exclaimed at the same time. The lion guard, however, was unconvinced, but strangely enough, they didn't push the matter.

"Alright, alright, I will get to work as soon as you remove yourselves from this area and give me some room," Rafiki said, using his staff to push everyone away.

The other animals moved, except for Masika, who was hesitant about leaving her brother's side. Makuu noticed this and had to force her to leave by pushing her away.

***

"Hey, Rafiki! Ya done yet?" Bunga called.

"Bunga!" the other animals snapped, except for Masika and Talib.

"What? I was just wondering if he was done yet or not!"

"Yes, my work is done," Rafiki responded, sneaking up on the group.

"How is he? Is my brother alright? He'll be fine, won't he?" Masika asked.

"Do not worry, young one. He will be fine. He should be back to normal in a few days or so. However, I suggest he refrains from any sort of physical activity for a while. If he re-opens those wounds, it will be even harder for me to heal them again."

"Oh, thank goodness. Thank you so much, Rafiki. I don't know what we would do if you weren't around. Although, I can't promise that he'll stay out of trouble."

"Just make sure to keep a very close eye on him. Now, all of you may go, except you, Makuu. I must speak with you in private."

{Oh great. What does he want now?}

"We'll wait for you outside the grove, Rafiki," Kion said.

Soon, everyone moved away, leaving Makuu and Rafiki alone.

"Alright, mandrill, spit it out," Makuu whispered as soon as the other animals were out of earshot. "What do you need to say to me this time?"

"I am not here to talk," Rafiki said. "I am here to warn you. If you want to keep those you care about safe, you are going to need to set aside some differences and make alliances with those you don't trust."

"Can't you make any less sense? What in the world are you talking about?"

"You will soon find out, but you will need to make some difficult choices and put your faith in those you would never consider trustworthy."

Leaving Makuu with more questions than answers, Rafiki took his leave.

{For once, can't that mandrill make any sense?}